Lake Tanganyika Species • Frontosa Acting Funny

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

Frontosa Acting Funny

Postby BluePete » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi,

I have a 3.5" Frontosa who recently started acting very strange. His color is very pale, with the scales on his sides highlighted in white. He is scratching, his fins are closed and he wiggles his body. He is in a community tank with 1 other Front of the same size and other Haps. All of these guys have been together for 5 months. Could the Frontosa have a bacterial infection like Columnaris? I perform weekly 20% water changes. pH around 8.2-8.4 (I know it could be higher for Fronts); No ammonia or nitrites, but nitrates around 40-80 (can't seem to get them down. Water is very hard (600+) and I'm trying to get it down. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Fronts relatively new to me.
BluePete

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby fmueller » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:27 pm

How large is the tank? How large are the fish? What other haps? Any chance for photos?

Without further info it's hard to tell, but Frontosa are very mellow fish compared to most Malawi haps. If the Front isn't being bullied now - which could well cause what you describe - he probably will be at some stage in the future.
fmueller
Global Moderator

Postby BluePete » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:24 pm

The tank is a 55 gallon grow tank. They will soon go to a 180 gallon. The two sibling fronts are 4" . No apparent bullying - no signs of nipped tails, etc. The front in question has created quite a cave under some large rocks and he/she[/img][/b] comes in and out, guarding it strongly. I have photos, but don't know how to add them to this thread just yet.
BluePete

Postby fmueller » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:31 pm

Regarding the Photos, CF does not host images. We suggest you upload your images at one of these web sites:
www.freewebspace.net
www.photobucket.com
www.flickr.com

1. After the upload is complete, view the photo you wish to post here. Right-click on the picture and then select Properties. Copy the Address (URL).

2. On this board, write in your post the following:

Code:
[img].....paste%20the%20URL%20address%20here.....[/img]

3. THEN, before you SUBMIT your post, be sure to PREVIEW it first. You should see the image. If not, double check your code.
fmueller
Global Moderator

Postby BluePete » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:30 am

Thank you fmueller- I appreciate the instructions. I will do that and reply back soon.
BluePete

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species