South American Cichlids • 90g

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

90g

Postby shef » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:35 pm

I'm looking at moving some things around within my tanks. If all goes as planned I'll have a 90g free. I think I'd like to get another oscar. I'm just wondering if this will be enough for 2 oscars or if I should stick to one and something else?
shef

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Chubbs the Jellybean » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:59 pm

I'd stick to one and something medium like a JD or a convict
55g (soon 75) - 1 Oscar (5"), 1 spotted raphael, 10 Tiger barbs, 1 Orange Seam Pleco (L106)
20L Planted - 1 HRP "Rio Danli", 8 pristella tetras, 2 unsexed HRP
15g - 5 unsexed Cutteri "Rio Jutiapa"
Chubbs the Jellybean

Postby Phill0046 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:29 pm

If you go the convict route get small ones, i had one the same size as my little oscar or he absolutely tormented the little guy. I had to give the convict away
Phill0046

Postby jd lover » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:05 pm

Phill0046 wrote:If you go the convict route get small ones, i had one the same size as my little oscar or he absolutely tormented the little guy. I had to give the convict away

you cant tell him to get a small convict without knowing the size of his oscar

i wouldnt do oscar+ convict. but thats just me.

in a 75 i would rather have 1 oscar+6 silver dollars
no medicine works better than clean water.
no such thing as too much clean water, so go do a water change now.
jd lover

Postby shef » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:36 pm

lol, him is a her. I actually had an oscar and 2 convicts before, I got rid of the convicts because they tormented the oscar. My old oscar used to live quite well with a green terror in a 90g. Maybe a different acara species would work. Or a bichir, I had one of those too. I don't really like silver dollars all that much.
shef

Postby Chubbs the Jellybean » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:27 pm

My main issue with SDs is that I had a school of 6, and they were the most skittish fish I've ever owned. If you walked into the room too fast or approached the tank too fast they would dart into the corner and hide, hence causing the cichlids (an oscar and a FM) to hide too. Giant danios were my solution (although with an oscar be prepared for them to eventually disappear)
55g (soon 75) - 1 Oscar (5"), 1 spotted raphael, 10 Tiger barbs, 1 Orange Seam Pleco (L106)
20L Planted - 1 HRP "Rio Danli", 8 pristella tetras, 2 unsexed HRP
15g - 5 unsexed Cutteri "Rio Jutiapa"
Chubbs the Jellybean

Postby jd lover » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:01 am

shef wrote:lol, him is a her. I actually had an oscar and 2 convicts before, I got rid of the convicts because they tormented the oscar. My old oscar used to live quite well with a green terror in a 90g. Maybe a different acara species would work. Or a bichir, I had one of those too. I don't really like silver dollars all that much.

him/her he/she like it matters were all fish lovers =p but my apologies

well the only thing about bicher and oscar is the oscar grows way faster than the bicher and it might turn it into a nice snack. i guess if you grow them to adult in different tanks it might work. have you try oscar with red devil or flower horn? just spitballing here.
no medicine works better than clean water.
no such thing as too much clean water, so go do a water change now.
jd lover

Postby hauntingurcoma » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:53 am

Try a Jack Dempsey...I've always had good sucess with those 2 together.
hauntingurcoma

Return to South American Cichlids