Lake Tanganyika Species • Cyathopharynx foai (Sibwesa) Lighting??

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

Postby prov356 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:02 am

I suspect the 'sibwesa' label is being applied to ffins as often as it can be because hobbyists have come to regard it as the premier ffin. I looked up some photos in Ad's Natural Habitat book and he shows one with the yellow on the fins from Magara, I believe. Looks like yours, but regardless, beautiful fish. More than ok if yours is Magara and not Sibwesa. I think the yellow makes yours a nicer fish, but just my opinion.

blue blaze furcifer sibwesa

The naming of these fish is getting ridiculous. :roll:

Yes your cyathopharynx look like furcifer with all that yellow in the dorsal and anal fin.

That doesn't make it a 'furcifer'.
prov356

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby kenko » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:50 am

Naming of these fish IS getting ridiculous. I'm still trying to figure out if mine are truly Ruziba - or if they have come from further south in Nyanza. (In Unidentified section in these forums.)

The body coloration with the yellow highlights on the fins look awfully similar to Furcifer "copper" Kabogo (especially from Tom's Tangs). Or possibly Foai Karilani "Copper". The Magara are generally more green/blue than these.

As for lighting, I notice that my Cyathopharynx (and Aulonocranus, among others) seem to be most active during dusk and dawn. Not sure if it is a direct influence from the actual light and intensity, time of day, etc. - but they do seem to go into full attract mode during those times.
kenko

Postby Thanusan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:08 am

thank you guys
Thanusan

Seller's Picture

Postby Thanusan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:39 am

After i contacted the seller, he send me these pic ( this is his 7-8inch adult male) this is also from the original group from Darius.
Thanusan

Postby kenko » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:36 pm

The breeders seem to be lacking the yellow trimming that your particular fish have, especially on the anal fin. It also appears to me that your fish are surprisingly similar to this fellow's:
http://www.pbase.com/mckchu/cyathopharynx
kenko

Postby Thanusan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:51 pm

Yap looks the same. Thank you for your help
Thanusan

Postby Thanusan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:12 pm

Thanusan

Postby Jolly cichlids » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:23 am

Jolly cichlids

Postby PrinceG » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:21 pm

In my opinion they don't look like yours.I really don't want to be negative but helpful cause as i told u we have the same fish!

I took some photo about 2 weeks ago:
Can you spot any difference?
I was convinced that mine were from Magara but now i can't explain that reddish glow on their body.
ps.I bought mine as karilani cooper like kenko post above.
We should search which cyathos of the "flashy" variants have yellow ending on their fins.

How is it going with the lighting?have you tried anything with better results?
PrinceG

Postby Thanusan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:25 pm

i think mine are karilani cooper.. still waiting for the importers reply.. i checked his post he also sold karilani cooper same time.
Lighting i use single 10,000 k , these fishes love natural sun/day light and black sand...
Thanusan

Postby noddy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:32 am

Thanusan wrote:i think mine are karilani cooper.. still waiting for the importers reply.. i checked his post he also sold karilani cooper same time.
Lighting i use single 10,000 k , these fishes love natural sun/day light and black sand...

Shawn.
If the seller was George, I bought the Karilani copper Foai from him, they turned out to be Kigoma Furcifers.
Paul b
noddy

Postby kenko » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:50 pm

Wow - now that's how not to run a fish selling business. Great for the seller, since most juvies/females look the same - and it's not like most people will complain several months later once the males color up. It's disheartening for those with every intent on keeping bloodlines as pure as possible - and especially these days considering how many collectors or breeders are making up their own common names or variants.

I hope this hobby doesn't go the way of dogs, where now "mutts" are considered "fancy mixes" - and I'm sorry, the puggle is just fuggly. I like my fish as they appear in nature and not some lab or breeding cesspool. Thanks.

Now if I could just figure out the variant of my furcifers or foai......
kenko

Postby Thanusan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:46 pm

importer just told me this is Karilani copper Foai
new Pic
Thanusan

Postby kenko » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:45 pm

So, I think we have determined that Shawn's (Thanusan) are not Sibwesa, but in fact Karilani Copper.

And looks as though PrinceG's are not Karilani Copper, but could possibly be Sibwesa.

=D>

Now about the original topic - lighting... :lol:
kenko

Postby Thanusan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:44 am

Yes i think your right!!!!

Thanks guys
Thanusan

PreviousNext

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species