Aquarium Setup • LELEUPI TANK (Species only)

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

LELEUPI TANK (Species only)

Postby pinaki1816 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi,

This is my first Tanganyikan tank.It houses 3 LELEUPIs.It is a species only tank.PFB link....

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/tanks/disp ... tank=23626

Waiting for your suggestion n comments .... Currently i only have 3 LELEUPIs in this tank.... let me know whether i can go ahead and add a few other Tanganyikan fishes or refrain myself....
pinaki1816

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby whiskeyriver » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:19 pm

Likely nothing, especially if they breed, from what I've read...
whiskeyriver

Postby KGilly20 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:39 pm

Im really a big fan of the leleupis'. I had a 20 gallon with 2 of them in it and then i bought a 55 and set it up for CA. I slowly adapted them to the CA water conditions. Sadly only one lived but hes thriving in the 55! My breeding salvinis dont even look at him, its like they cant even see him....its kinda weird haha

Beautiful fish and tank though! :thumb:
KGilly20

Postby fmueller » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:46 pm

Nice looking leleupi. If it was me, I would keep it a species tank only, but add three more leleupi. That way it is almost guaranteed that you will end up with a pair, and at that stage the other leleupi might have to be removed. The pair will then go ahead and populate the tank :)
fmueller

Postby pinaki1816 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:39 pm

I have a great news to share...i got a pair and i also got my 1st batch of Leleupi fries in my tank...... this is the first time i breed Leleupi successfully in my tank.... PFB link http://youtu.be/E0cpET2bzdI

Now followings r the difficulties I am facing....

1. Can't separate fries as my tank is well decorated with rocks n the fries r hiding in it....have heard Leleupis breed often and when the fries will become a bit large then parents will kill them to ensure safekeeping of next hatch lings.

2. Not sure what to feed these fries .. micro worm is not available in KOLKATA(INDIA) .... :-( :-( tried with egg yolk ..but it tends to cloud the water n even m nt sure whether fries r taking it or not.

3. Can anyone tell me about water change ???? I am not sure about this.I use to do Water Change once in a week and 50%.

4. Please guide me and let me know what i need to do to raise these fries successfully........
pinaki1816

Postby fmueller » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:55 pm

Congratulations on the fry! If in doubt, feed them what the adults get, just grind it up very small. You can also put a clump of Java moss in the tank. Very small fry always seem to find stuff to eat in the moss. I would keep up the water change schedule as usual.
fmueller

Postby pinaki1816 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:04 am

thanks a lot....tode i just brought some Daphnia .... should i try it?? i have been feeding them crushed Tetra Bits and Spirulina as well.......can u tell me when should i separate them from parents ?? my tank is welldecorated with rocks ...it would be v hard to catch them ....what would be most feasible for me ??fishtrap??
pinaki1816

Postby fmueller » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:32 pm

Daphnia are a good life food. The only problem for the fry could be that they are too big, but then the parents would eat them, so no harm done. If you want to save as many fry as possible, I'd remove them as soon as they become free swimming. I once had a spawn of B. Rams and observed how the mom led them out of the spawning cave for the first time. I used a siphon hose to remove almost the entire spawn, and ended up with hundreds of B. Rams that I could sell :thumb:

Usually removing fry from well decorated tanks is not so easy, and I often have that same problem. Unfortunately there is no fix-all solution that I am aware of. I have used fish traps with great success, but my julidochromis and leleupi fry are way to smart to go into a trap, and I've never had any luck catching them with that method. Usually I remove as much of the decoration as needed to get the number of fry I want. The rest remains in the main tank, and their survival rate isn't very high.
fmueller

Postby kenko » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:15 pm

Extremely difficult to get unless you did try to siphon them out - but you run into other issues of turbulence and hitting the container's side, and such. Though looking at your tank, most ways of capturing the fry will be difficult unless you remove everything, as Frank suggested. (You have a lot of rocks and hiding places.)

They are tiny fry, and I'm not sure that crushed food may be small enough, unless it was the powdery bits. But you do have the parents in the tank, so what ever you feed them will get crushed and the fry will nibble on that, among other things they scavenge. After about 3-4 weeks, they will venture more into the water column, and then could take the daphnia and larger crushed bits.

Initially, I do use First Bites and the very bottom of a container of brine shrimp flake (remaining powder bits).

Honestly, if you wanted to save them, you could siphon, but I would try for a next spawn - and use a larger shell or a clay pot for spawning. Then once they lay the eggs, you can just place the shell in another tank. It couldn't work more perfectly for me. I usually wait until the fry venture into the opening of the shell, then I reach in (the fry get scared back into the shell), I pick up the shell and plop it into a 10 gallon tank.

In terms of separating, it should be done at around 3/8"(1 cm) or prior to retain as many fry as possible. I've kept fry with the parents before, but the vast majority do disappear prior to a new spawn. I think I only ended up with about 4 or 5 fry from a prior spawn when the new spawn occurred, and that was the last time I did that. :)
kenko

Return to Aquarium Setup