Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Rocks bubble in bleach solution

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: notho2000, CjCichlid

Rocks bubble in bleach solution

Postby reddhawkk » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:55 pm

I put some river rocks I collected in a 5% bleach solution and two of them started to bubble in a couple of places. What does this mean? Is this not a good thing?
reddhawkk

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Rocks bubble in bleach solution

Postby TCP » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:58 pm

reddhawkk wrote:I put some river rocks I collected in a 5% bleach solution and two of them started to bubble in a couple of places. What does this mean? Is this not a good thing?

That just means that their are little pores/holes in the rock, so air is just getting out... you should be fine :thumb:

*NOTE: remember to rinse EXTREMELY well to get all of the bleach out of the rock, I always let the stuff that I bleach completely dries, then I rinse it off again....
TCP

Postby reddhawkk » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:52 pm

Thanks, I was not sure if it was a good thing or not. Yes, the rocks do have small holes in them.
reddhawkk

Postby brandon O » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:35 pm

they could be limestone to
brandon O

Postby PfunMo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:23 pm

You may be confusing the old test of using vinegar rather than bleach to determine if the rock is limestone. The weak acid can make it fizz when poured on the alkaline (base) limestone. In this case., I would guess it to just be air bubbles.
PfunMo

Postby DIAMOND_CICHLIDS » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:55 pm

PfunMo wrote:You may be confusing the old test of using vinegar rather than bleach to determine if the rock is limestone. The weak acid can make it fizz when poured on the alkaline (base) limestone. In this case., I would guess it to just be air bubbles.

Which would be actually a good thing if you keep fish that likes an higher ph like african :thumb:
70 gallons: cyno. Sp haras, labido sp perlmutt, pseudo saulosi
6 gallon
125 gallons : mixed malawi males

http://www.youtube.com/user/StraightFlint?feature=mhee

Please excuse my french :p
DIAMOND_CICHLIDS

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)