General Aquaria Discussion • bottom feeders/scavengers

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

bottom feeders/scavengers

Postby Rob1984 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:38 pm

what kinda fish is there out there at most local fish shops that are like bottom feeders or groud scavengers.... something that gonna go through my gravel and stir up any little dirt thats laying in it (fish poop, left over food etc etc)

also pics of them would be nice too.... like are there el's or something or what is all out there that you guys know about

thanks rob
Rob1984

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:43 pm

There are no fish of which I am aware that eat fish poop or dirt. Gravel vacuums are good for that. Many bottom dwellers will clean up extra food but better if you don't overfeed.

What are the dimensions of your tank and what is it stocked with? Some bottom dwellers might be more suited to hard/versus soft water or aggressive/versus peaceful fish.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Rob1984 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:57 pm

tank is 48" long by 18" wide by 19" tall (70gallons) right now there are just mollies in the tank as we had a issue with a disiease so i completly cleaned tank top to bottom and filter and everything .....

but i mean just something that gonna possibly rumage through the gravel and stir any dirt up that laying in there to get filter and sucked up through the filter ...eventually we want some bala sharks, and clown loachs or whichever there called and some bright colourful fish in there dont care for mollies really hahahaha they just keep breeding CONSTANLY
Rob1984

Postby Nodalizer » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:37 am

but as for fish stirring up the bottom, most africans cichlids will do that.
Nodalizer

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:27 am

Well you may not want african cichlids with mollies, as I believe mollies are brackish fish.

Sounds as though gravel vacuuming is the way to do what you want.

I think you need to decide what you will stock the tank with first so that you can decide what bottom dweller to choose. Unless you are saying this tank will focus on bottom dwellers?

Clown loaches grow to 13" and like to be in groups of 6 or more so they are usually better for a 72" tank.

Bala sharks too grow 10" to 14" and like to be in groups of 6 or more. Not suitable for a 48" tank.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Rob1984 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:40 am

Maybe clown loaches isn't what I'm thinking of then.... These are freshwater fish that look like a clown fish but aren't salt water....

We had some hap44's and they did not do good at all, so we wanna try something else...and we don't care if the mollies get ate either, as they they just constantly breed

We have a gravel vaccumm but it doesn't pull much dirt out as I'd like,
Rob1984

Postby Rob1984 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:05 am

Brackish fish what ya mean by that ??
Rob1984

Postby Adrian101 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:50 am

Clown loaches are fresh water. And both they and bala sharks get to big for your tank. Why didn't the haps do well? Is it a new tank? And brackish water is fresh water with a salt content. Estuaries are common for this. Mollies need this water normally. No fish will clean your gravel better than a gravel vac, i have large earth eaters and still gravel vac with my water changes. You should pick what sort of fish of u want and then research them .
Adrian101

Postby Rob1984 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:45 pm

Well when gf mom had the tank out at her house she had this long eel like thing that buried and sawm through the gravel but he got stuck in a castle and died before she noticed he was stuck and when she broke the castle to get him out he was dead.....

The happs ended up dieing due to ich or something along that line... Weird like fungis that grew on them, pretty sure they were sick from petstore we got em from, and he wouldn't help us or replace em after having for a few days, and I tried treating but it was too late, so I did a HUGE water change, and cleaned the filter and stones and such... So now were in nice clean water and properly balanced water....
Rob1984

Postby SEAN420 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:21 pm

Want my opinion.. Get some Jujupari's I don't know the science name of em. But they are called the EarthEater i believe? i might be wrong there.. once they get big enough to pick up the gravel they usually find their food like that in the wild i believe. But as for eating the Waste.. Good luck. I went into LFS's asking that same question. And I've learned this. You want a nice tank clean and disease free! Do water changes, Vacuum your gravel. And dont be lazy about it. I let my 2nd tank setup go n i regret it. Best of luck. Get some Cory Catfish, they like to rummage the bottom
55 Gal/ 2"M (Pink)Convict, 2.7" EBJD, 2"M Firemouth, (2)1.7" Geo Brasil, 3.7"M GT(GoldSaum) 3.5"M Texas, 1 Plecostomus, 10 Asst Cory

125 not set up yet..
SEAN420

Postby SEAN420 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:30 pm

i guess another question would be.. How long has this tank been set up"? and how much waste is really down there seems to be the problem. I let the waste go in my 2nd setup, thats why im suprised my fish were even alive.. :o\ Easy things to fix really. Maybe get some Totes or buckets n store aerate your fish. Completely empty the tank :) remove gravel... n clean :) but.. youll have to let your tank cycle a bit after refilling.. So thats a long alternative. But if you got that much waste. Kinda the only option really.. Without making a HUGE mess in ur tank.
55 Gal/ 2"M (Pink)Convict, 2.7" EBJD, 2"M Firemouth, (2)1.7" Geo Brasil, 3.7"M GT(GoldSaum) 3.5"M Texas, 1 Plecostomus, 10 Asst Cory

125 not set up yet..
SEAN420

Postby Rob1984 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:23 pm

well not so much wanting something to eat fish poop and such, I'm just saying I want something to dig or like slither amongist the gravel to stirp up any dirt in order for the filter to suck it up and clean some dirt in there... Just alittle less maintence you know what I mean tho ?
Rob1984

Postby Rob1984 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:26 pm

Tank has been setup for bout a month now, and when I cleaned it up yesterday there was a ton of stuff laying within the gravel...could be just feed way too much food I dunno... We have 3 chinese algea eaters, one regular algea eater, as well as 2 small apple snails
Rob1984

Postby SEAN420 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:34 pm

What kinda fish do you have in the tank besides that? Any cichlids of any sorts? Prolly need to cut back on the feeding. But tanks still need maintenance reguardless.. id look into some Cory cats, and like i said, if you have no cichlids yet. Jujupari's pick up gravel n such to sift.. them with the corys.. u should be ok. but u need to gravel vac at least once a month. and keep up on your levels. Best of luck. :thumb:

125 not set up yet..
SEAN420

Postby Rob1984 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:42 pm

Well besides what I listed in previous post there like 15 mollies in it that's it... We have a deisease issue so now I'm just looking around at different stuff to put in the tank...

But will cichilds be ok with bala sharks or red tail sharks ?
Rob1984

Next

Return to General Aquaria Discussion