Lake Malawi Species • 125g : Male Peacocks, Haps and 1 Mbuna :)

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Postby crispyythree » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:19 am

Your fish have amazing colors. Im wondering though. My adult peacocks and haps are not displaying colors like that. Could It be my substrate? I have a Black substrate but a bit of white in there as well. Im dying to see my males display that kind of color.
crispyythree

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby growpower » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Your pictures look great, what K rating are on the lamps you are using? They really bring out the color.
growpower

Postby Sub-Mariner » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:45 pm

crispyythree wrote:Your fish have amazing colors. Im wondering though. My adult peacocks and haps are not displaying colors like that. Could It be my substrate? I have a Black substrate but a bit of white in there as well. Im dying to see my males display that kind of color.

Thanks!

From what I've read, everyone says to use a darker substrate to make the fish colors pop. They said white sand washes their colors out? My fish arent aggressive so maybe they feel comfortable to fully color up? Are you fish peaceful with one another? Feeding can help too, I feed my tank NLS 1mm pellets, I've since switched over to Dainichi color supreme to see if they will color up even more but at the time of the video they were strictly on NLS.

growpower wrote:Your pictures look great, what K rating are on the lamps you are using? They really bring out the color.

Thanks.

The bulbs in the video are:
2x: 10K, 2x: Power-Glo, which are 18K.

I was messing around with bulbs last night and Im now using:
2x: 10K, 1 Power-Glo, 1 Actinic.

I had 1 10K and 1 Actinic bulb on my last tank and it make the iridescent blues in my peacocks really pop but it was too much and they didnt look natural. The reds, yellows and oranges looked washed out due to the Actinic bulb. I think with the 1 Actinic bulb I have now combined with the Power-Glo and 2x: 10Ks its a perfect combo in my tank. :drooling:

I cant get a video up, my camcorder wouldnt turn on so I shipped it out this past Monday to get fixed under warranty. They said I will have it back before Christmas....we'll see. :roll:
Sub-Mariner

Postby crispyythree » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:05 am

Another question. Whats the name of the fish in the 4th picture and the one in the 10th picture. The really nice red one in the 10th picture.
crispyythree

Postby Sub-Mariner » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:40 am

crispyythree wrote:Another question. Whats the name of the fish in the 4th picture and the one in the 10th picture. The really nice red one in the 10th picture.

4th picture is a Makonde Yellow Blackfin; Placidochromis Electra Hap

10th picture is a German Red; Aulonocara Peacock
Sub-Mariner

Postby vann59 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Sub-Mariner wrote:Image HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY! Image

Thanks.
vann59

Postby Sub-Mariner » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:27 pm

^^^ :thumb:

Just a little update, I did a little improvement to my tank this past week, or at least I think I have. :D I moved the 3 rocks together to form one big rock formation. Doing that made alot more caves and little nooks, I like it 100x better this way. I also bought a Koralia Evo 1400 to replace one of my Evo 750s. I needed a little more power directing debris towards my FX5 intake. And finally I added a Actinic bulb to my fixture, so now Im running:

2x: 10K
1x: Power-Glo
1x: Actinic

On my 90g I was running a dual fixture with 1x: 10 and 1x: Actinic. The Actinic overpowered the tank where my fish didnt look natural so I originally didnt want to go with any Actinic bulbs on my 125g. I was curious to see how it would look and after adding it I think its the perfect mix of bulbs on my tank now. The Actinic bulb gives off just enough blue to make the iridescent blues in the Peacocks pop and the other bulbs do a good job of keeping the fish colors looking natural.

What do yall think...improvement or no? :popcorn:

The rocks look like theyre all straight but the 2 outer rocks are angled.

Makonde Yellow Blackfin (Alpha-male of the tank)

German Red (Favorite color fish)

Bi-Color (Favorite fish out of my entire tank. This little guy has TONS of personality.)

Bi-Color with camera flash on
Sub-Mariner

Postby blackedout » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:52 pm

I absolutely love it! great work! your tank is very close to what i dream of having someday!
75 Gallon, 2x Fluval 406's, Peacock / Hap Tank
55 Gallon, Fluval 305, peacock fry / pregnant females
blackedout

Postby Sub-Mariner » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:56 pm

Thanks, its been a work in progress! :D
Sub-Mariner

Postby des » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:08 pm

All male peacock and hap tanks rule. :thumb:
110G Peacocks&Haps
90G Aulonocara jacob. undu reef
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/eastcrewboy ... ature=mhee
des