Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Yala Swamp Hap/Fulu variant

21K views 58 replies 10 participants last post by  Aspencer 
#1 ·
I've seen a lot of sales on Yala Swamp Fulu/Hap variant. It's similar to the Christmas Fulu. I've seen it on several websites and wondered if Cichlid Forum will ever include it in their profiles. There is a Yala Swamp spot bar, but it's not the same fish. Is there something in the works to add this fish?

#2 ·
I don't know, I'm wondering if they're the same fish. I keep looking at videos on youtube and one in particular looks identical to my yala swamp, but it's labeled as the spot bar/Mbipia Lutea. I wonder if anyone from CichlidForum can verify this or not.

#3 ·
Yala Swamp is a location and not the complete name of any fish. There is no way that any of us can figure out what species fish you are talking about with that description. We have been working on enhancing and updating the profiles for the past month or so and are not yet done.

willbo77 said:
I don't know, I'm wondering if they're the same fish. I keep looking at videos on youtube and one in particular looks identical to my yala swamp, but it's labeled as the spot bar/Mbipia Lutea. I wonder if anyone from CichlidForum can verify this or not.
The profiles will be dealing with valid names and common names of Victoriian cichlids available in the hobby. How that relates to your fish, we have no way of knowing.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Kevin

#6 ·
That's what I have. I've been breeding them for a couple years now. The pics here in cichlid forum don't do it justice. My males are amazing. They have a lot of character as well. I have them in a 75 with some Astatotilapia latifasciata and they do very well together.

#19 ·
They look exactly how mine did when they were that size.

I recently saw a picture of an adult male Mbipia cf Lutea yala Swamp Crossbar on dave schumacher's website that looked identical to my male. So hopefully that is what we have.

Do you mind me asking where you got yours?

Mine came from Willbo who started this post.

#20 ·
I belong to a program called CAST which keeps the line of endangered species...I get the fish free so I do not own them...just raise them in donated tank space...breed them and pass the fry on...

USA Fish from texas..Kory Watkins....

We might try trading to strengthen the genetic line with some diversity.

#22 ·
Those look great!

I would be open to trading to improve the line. Do you know where that line originated? I talked to a friend I trust on the subject matter. He agreed that these are Mbipia Lutea cf Crossbar Yala Swamp.

http://www.africancichlids.net/articles/mbipia_lutea/ Here is a link to an article on them written by Greg Steeves

#23 ·
Mine are from Texas, Daves Rare Fish has the same line from the same breeder. I belong to a group called CAST, site is USA Fish Box...we are raising endangered Lake Victorians to pass on..Yes I would be interested in trading fry but have none so far.

#26 ·
Hi because of the body morphology, the body color and the fact that this fish is from Yala swamp, the Mbipia lutea was described by Bouton and Zwennes and is a strictly lithophilic species(saying that it doesn't live anywhere else apart rock reefs), the body color is very far from the Yala fish(lutea is a yellow species with a red flush on the upper flanks with a blue head and red finns, it's a compressed species growing to 14 cm long. the yala has red belly on a grey body color. In victorian's species, the body color is a part of the diagnose, if the fish doesn't exhibit the same body color then it's a different species. Who is the scientist who described them as Mbipia cf lutea Yala Swamp????
xris :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.