Lake Tanganyika Species • Shellies..

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

Shellies..

Postby skurj » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:13 pm

Haven't made up my mind, but I may toss some shellies into my tang community I am cycling, or possibly in their own 15g (2'x1'x1')
I have read that, that maybe small for occies (the 15g), and I don't like the idea of multi's with a bajillion shells...

How would Brevis fair with the following in the 55: (not concerned about breeding)
1 leleupi
3 alto calvus black
5 gobies (irsacae)
5 julie transcriptus
mebbe one day 8-10 cyp's if i find one i actually like..

all these fish will be under 2", and the gobies and julies the 5 is only until they pair up. at which point it will be a pair of each.

I like the idea of the brevis requiring a few shells instead of a ton..

If they won't go in the 55, I do have exactly enough room to put that 15g, besides the qt 15g that is under the 55.
skurj

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby DJRansome » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:18 pm

Brevis would be great in the 15G but I would not put any shellie in a tank with lelelupi. I was warned, I tried it in a 72" tank and all shellies killed.

You also have a lot of rock dwellers in the 55G and cyps do better if you have a dozen or more.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby skurj » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:45 am

I haven't put anything in yet..
Gobies I pick up tomorrow, and apart from those the alto calvus is the only other fish that is a must have.

Are 12 of the non-jumbo cyps ok in a 4ft tank?

Guess mebbe I should pass on either the leleupi or the julies (or should i pass on both?), and put shellies in the 15g
skurj

Postby whiskeyriver » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:11 pm

Julies, especially transcriptus, I think (from what I've read) would definitely work with Shellies. Equally tough, neither much larger than the other, inhabit different structures/areas in the tank. Now, in a 15g...that might be pushing it for both. But in the 4-footer...it doesn't sound like a problem to me.
whiskeyriver

Postby skurj » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:45 pm

But with alto calvus and gobies... too much?
skurj

Postby Rick_Lindsey » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:53 pm

In the 55, I would expect you to be ok with 2 substrate spawners plus the gobies (mouth-brooders), but I've never tried it myself. I'm sure some folks have had success with more species than that, but I lean towards under rather than overstocking.

Keep in mind my only tang tank at the moment is a 29-gallon julidichromis/multifasciatus tank, so this advice is worth what you paid for it ;)

-Rick (the armchair aquarist, who notes that in case he wasn't clear, he was advocating the gobies, the altos, and either the julies or the shellies (but not both) in the 55)
Rick_Lindsey

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species