DIY - Projects & Ideas • 7' Tank Build

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby Agridion » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:09 am

The King Crabb wrote:I definitely thought about using something like that, I looked more into mirrors though. I was actually going to bring this subject up after the lighting :lol: I'd figured down to a few options. Both of those (I actually looked at them both before you posted them, ironic!) are basically just glorified tin foil. Or if I don't want the canopy to look so ghetto I was planning on using rust-proof (not sure on fish safe, I need to look into it) reflective paint for the inside of the canopy, although I've heard that glossed paint works just as well. Thoughts on that?


We must be thinking the same. The ORCA is suppose to diffuse and reflect the light so that it lights the tank evenly as apposed to a mirror, chrome paint or Mylar which just reflects light. But I'm sure all of the mentioned above is better then wood. LOL If I pick up a roll I'll keep you posted on how it works. Any new pictures yet? I know we are all waiting. :popcorn: :popcorn:
User avatar
Agridion
 
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:24 pm
Location: Chicago

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby The King Crabb » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:31 am

Agridion wrote:Any new pictures yet? I know we are all waiting. :popcorn: :popcorn:


Sadly, no. But I've definitely got some open time coming up so I'm hoping to at least purchase wood before Saturday and almost assuredly start once I have it, since the big thing for me is actually going to purchase it! Once I actually have the wood I love working :thumb:
User avatar
The King Crabb
 
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:00 pm
Location: Orem, Utah

Postby vann59 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:35 pm

The King Crabb wrote:I realize I won't be able to work in the tank at all (other than feeding) when the canopy is on and that it will take 2 people to lift, but since I don't have a 7' wing span I was always going to use 2 people to lift it anyways!


Ok, just to complicate things...

It is a seven foot long tank, and that's pretty long, especially for a one foot deep tank. So what if you were to build the canopy in sections, which could swing back separately on piano hinges, with "legs" that would swing out from behind to hold the canopy at about a 90 degree angle so that you have access to the tank to do maintenance?

This may present some new challenges with your current plans, but I just thought I might throw that into the mix here, as I think being unable to get into it easily will get old soon enough.

Although this tank should look really cool when done either way. :)
User avatar
vann59
 
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Manatee County Florida

Postby The King Crabb » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:09 am

I think I get what you mean, and that wouldn't be a whole lot harder, but what would the piano hinges connect to?
User avatar
The King Crabb
 
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:00 pm
Location: Orem, Utah

Postby vann59 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:39 am

The King Crabb wrote:I think I get what you mean, and that wouldn't be a whole lot harder, but what would the piano hinges connect to?


I was thinking you would connect the piano hinges to the back edge of the tank, if it is acrylic. Stainless screws would work for that, or if you have a background, you could make a wooden wall behind the tank, that the canopy hinges on.

The idea being to be able to tilt back the canopy so you have sufficient access to clean the tank, and yet don't have to find a place to put down a large canopy and have a helper to do so. Basically just a tilt back type design, where the weight rests securely and isn't going to tip the tank back or stress anything.

As long as you aren't making it a see through tank, it seems like you should be able to do that.
User avatar
vann59
 
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Manatee County Florida

Postby zade » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:41 am

That's a pretty good idea, would look different. But overall would look pretty crisp, I wouldn't look into screwing it into the tank itself, but rather the latter. Can't wait for the updates! :fish:
20 gal. Gourmai tank.
20 gal. Frontosa grow out tank.
125 gal. Building process.


"Why should your fish only survive, when they can thrive!"
zade
 
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 4:58 am
Location: NC

Postby The King Crabb » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:01 pm

Interesting idea, sounds like it could be hard though since I'm trying to make the canopy all one piece. I'll fiddle with the idea and see what I come up with!
User avatar
The King Crabb
 
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:00 pm
Location: Orem, Utah

Postby vann59 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:45 am

Ok, here is a very basic drawing of what I am thinking, subject to modification as needed.

http://db.tt/3P2KP3ca
User avatar
vann59
 
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Manatee County Florida

Postby The King Crabb » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:59 am

That makes it much easier to see! Wouldn't the hinge itself hold the canopy up? It would also be next to a wall so that will help too!

I know we're all clamoring for updates, but I couldn't make it out tonight. We got hit with some crazy surprise snow (been snowing for 2 hours now, close to 5") and if you've never driven in the snow in Utah I can tell it you it's the equivilent of trying to balance a top on a soapy surface - not easy. So I stayed home tonight and drank more hot chocolate than is probably healthy, I'll try to get out to Home Depot tomorrow when it stops snowing!
User avatar
The King Crabb
 
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:00 pm
Location: Orem, Utah

Postby vann59 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:13 am

The King Crabb wrote:That makes it much easier to see! Wouldn't the hinge itself hold the canopy up? It would also be next to a wall so that will help too!

I know we're all clamoring for updates, but I couldn't make it out tonight. We got hit with some crazy surprise snow (been snowing for 2 hours now, close to 5") and if you've never driven in the snow in Utah I can tell it you it's the equivilent of trying to balance a top on a soapy surface - not easy. So I stayed home tonight and drank more hot chocolate than is probably healthy, I'll try to get out to Home Depot tomorrow when it stops snowing!


Yes, the hinge should be a very stable point upon which it can rest. I would section off this long canopy into two or three sections. That would make it easier to open, and would also relieve some of the torque stress as you tilt it back.

I went to Salt Lake City several years back on business, and it was both hot and cold (sleet and flurries) within the first 48 hrs. I would love to have had more time to see the state.
User avatar
vann59
 
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Manatee County Florida

Postby The King Crabb » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:42 pm

vann59 wrote:Yes, the hinge should be a very stable point upon which it can rest. I would section off this long canopy into two or three sections. That would make it easier to open, and would also relieve some of the torque stress as you tilt it back.

I went to Salt Lake City several years back on business, and it was both hot and cold (sleet and flurries) within the first 48 hrs. I would love to have had more time to see the state.


So after some serious thinking, shopping, and searching I've decided to make it into a single portion of canopy; if I try to do 3 the odds of it looking good are slim to none.

I've also officially decided that I'm going to wire 5 CFLs into the hood on the back, anybody want to help me out with some wiring knowledge? I have literally 0 knowledge of electrical wiring.

:lol: Yes Utah's weather is basically the definition of bipolar! Last year we got 8" in June and it was melted before nightfall!
User avatar
The King Crabb
 
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:00 pm
Location: Orem, Utah

Postby vann59 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:57 pm

The King Crabb wrote:I've also officially decided that I'm going to wire 5 CFLs into the hood on the back, anybody want to help me out with some wiring knowledge? I have literally 0 knowledge of electrical wiring.


If you use only one hand to work on the electrical, then at least the voltage won't be able to travel through your heart. :D
User avatar
vann59
 
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Manatee County Florida

Postby cantrell00 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:23 pm

The King Crabb wrote:
vann59 wrote:Yes, the hinge should be a very stable point upon which it can rest. I would section off this long canopy into two or three sections. That would make it easier to open, and would also relieve some of the torque stress as you tilt it back.

I went to Salt Lake City several years back on business, and it was both hot and cold (sleet and flurries) within the first 48 hrs. I would love to have had more time to see the state.


So after some serious thinking, shopping, and searching I've decided to make it into a single portion of canopy; if I try to do 3 the odds of it looking good are slim to none.

I've also officially decided that I'm going to wire 5 CFLs into the hood on the back, anybody want to help me out with some wiring knowledge? I have literally 0 knowledge of electrical wiring.

:lol: Yes Utah's weather is basically the definition of bipolar! Last year we got 8" in June and it was melted before nightfall!


You just need a length of 2 conductor wire... Attach a plug on one end and wire all five in a daisy chain - terminating the circuit on the last one.

There are two screw lugs on the back of the socket, white wire on one, black wire on the other.

You really can't wire it up wrong to be honest.
User avatar
cantrell00
 
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:01 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Postby Dominateprimate » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:06 am

does this tank have any braces on the top? Just wondering. Hope it's not a dumb question...
Dominateprimate
 
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:51 pm
Location: Kentucky

Postby cantrell00 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:25 am

Dominateprimate wrote:does this tank have any braces on the top? Just wondering. Hope it's not a dumb question...


Doesn't. I think I remember him debating the need to add some..
User avatar
cantrell00
 
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:01 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

PreviousNext

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron