DIY - Projects & Ideas • 7' Tank Build

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby cantrell00 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:44 pm

The King Crabb wrote:Inside a canopy with a thin layer (~1/16") of acrylic separating them from the water, no weight will be placed on the acrylic.

If going in a canopy, I would look at wiring/mounting a array of 4 bulb sockets & use hi-eff CFL. Similar to what I have in my fish room.

Would be lightweight & easy to install.
cantrell00

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby The King Crabb » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:47 pm

The 48" bathroom lighting fixtures are only $10 each, would that be cheaper than wiring individual bulbs at better placed increments?
The King Crabb

Postby CITADELGRAD87 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:58 pm

Man, $10 per is cheap, what would you need, maybe 2 of them? Already spaced out and wired, you'd have a hard time convincing me that DIYing it would be better than at that price, your time is worth something, too.
CITADELGRAD87

Postby The King Crabb » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:07 pm

Yes, the price was nearly unbelievable! Not sure if they will support (correct word?) CFls though, the ad says it uses globe style bulbs so that slightly dissuades me. What do y'all think? http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... =202573193
The King Crabb

Postby quentin8 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:11 pm

Hey the fixture supports "g" type bulbs I dont know it they make CFL's for it take a look here http://www.topbulb.com/find/incandescent.asp
quentin8

Postby CITADELGRAD87 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:12 pm

Well, they take medium base bulbs, that's the standard size, so CFIs will certainly fit.

The only time I have had any trouble with CFIs is some timed fixtures like my porch lights, where I replaced the switch with an electronic timer, Leviton's the brand, did not shut all the way off, and instead flickered during the day, but they worked fine at night.

For regular on-off timers, they work fine at my house.

It's Home Depot, pick a couple up, open one and try it, if it doesn't work, toss it in the return pile. I haven't paid full price for anything since I bought my house 115 years ago, there's ALWAYS something going back to get store credit.
CITADELGRAD87

Postby CITADELGRAD87 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:14 pm

quentin8 wrote:Hey the fixture supports "g" type bulbs I dont know it they make CFL's for it take a look here http://www.topbulb.com/find/incandescent.asp

I think G means globe, it's decorative spherical, not shaped like a regular bulb. That's for show, though, trust me, any conventional bulb that you can screw in will work, and I bet a CFL would work, too. The base is medium, that's standard size, I say go for it.
CITADELGRAD87

Postby cantrell00 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:14 pm

CITADELGRAD87 wrote:Man, $10 per is cheap, what would you need, maybe 2 of them? Already spaced out and wired, you'd have a hard time convincing me that DIYing it would be better than at that price, your time is worth something, too.

Yeah.. I certainly agree. I never thought about this but now I get it...

My CFL's use a standard light bulb socket. Shouldn't be any worries there.

And if the sockets are too close, just put bulbs in every other one. lots of flexibility with this set up.
cantrell00

Postby vann59 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:01 pm

The standard socket we use here in the US is called an E27, for edison type screw in bulb with 27mm diameter. Wouldn't tube lights give a more even lighting? And I would be really careful about having an open socket on a live fixture.
vann59

Postby cantrell00 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:22 pm

vann59 wrote:The standard socket we use here in the US is called an E27, for edison type screw in bulb with 27mm diameter. Wouldn't tube lights give a more even lighting? And I would be really careful about having an open socket on a live fixture.

:o

Yeah.. Good point. Disconnect them if not in use...
cantrell00

Postby The King Crabb » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:44 pm

vann59 wrote:And I would be really careful about having an open socket on a live fixture.

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that! Can you buy just a sort of "plug" for the fixture or will I need to cut some wires?
The King Crabb

Postby Agridion » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:44 am

The King Crabb wrote:
vann59 wrote:And I would be really careful about having an open socket on a live fixture.

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that! Can you buy just a sort of "plug" for the fixture or will I need to cut some wires?

Light socket to outlet receptacle. Then put silicone into the two slots... Instant light plug.
Agridion

Postby cantrell00 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:16 pm

The King Crabb wrote:

On second thought - you may be better off just placing individual bulb mounts in the canopy.. Cutting and taping off the sockets you don't use would be a pain.

You should only need 4 and would require the following...

X4 Image

X4 Image

Here are the bulbs that have worked well for me..

2 strand 12 gauge wire.. Plug end...

I just daisy changed them together to a common plug connecter and added a timer...
cantrell00

Postby Agridion » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:27 pm

I like cantrell00 design, but I would reccomend using the outdoor lighting since it will be used by a bunch of moisture / water. The weather proof lamp holder (bulbs are what you plant in the ground) can also be found at Menards, Homedepot, Lowes, etc.

Here is a company that makes them.
They make all sorts of covers that you can use..
http://www.taymac.com/products/lampholders/covers
Here are the lamp holders.
http://www.taymac.com/products/lampholders/traditional/lt100wh
The nice thing about these is that you can set the angle in which you want the lamp to go.

This is how I put mine together as an example.
In the final design the wires go behind the reflector. In this picture the light fixtue is just resting on the reflector.
Agridion

Postby The King Crabb » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:56 pm

cantrell00 wrote:On second thought - you may be better off just placing individual bulb mounts in the canopy.. Cutting and taping off the sockets you don't use would be a pain.

Wouldn't it be easier to have the bathroom lighting fixtures because I'd only be taping off 2 bulbs maximum, and they'd be on the same fixture at the end?

Agridon, I saw that lighting you did and I really liked the outcome! Do you think that 4 bulbs makes a sufficient difference? Could you maybe post a picture of your tank illuminated with only the CFL bulbs?
The King Crabb

PreviousNext

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas