Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Need advises on a new colony

969 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  flynn 
#1 ·
I have been away from Ts for a little while, but it's getting back on me now !
I use to keep a breeding colony of 20 Ikola Kaisers in a 5x18 tank. They did great for me.
I have been offered a small group of 9 F1 adults Red Rainbows ...
I could house them in a 4 feet tank.
I know they could be OK in that tank, but I'm not used to keep such a small group.
So any opinion would be greatly appreciated as of group size... also what should I expect comparing RR with Ikolas (as of behavior, breeding, ...) ?
Thanks !

#2 ·
What are the dimentions of the 48" tank. Yep could be fine if they are adult and know each other in a 48"x18"x20" depending on luck and sex mix but prob not OK in a 48"x12"x12".

Dunno are you asking or telling?

My guess is though that a group of 9 F1 adults Red Rainbows for sale is a group already imploding due to too many males too little room and lack of success by the owner.

Do they have lots of young for free? Kind of a test for folk moving adult Tropheus on.

If they are bred from a WC group then they should have at least 20 to give you a good chance and the WC adults should still be alive for you to see.
Caveat emptor.
RR with Ikolas dunno never tried it.

All the best James

#3 ·
Actually, I went to see them on the weekend. They are in a cichlid store, were sold to a guy that couldn't keep them anymore and are back in the store (?). They said they imported a group and split them before selling them the first time.
There are actually 11 and they are supposed to be WC (but are not really at their adult size... ). My guess is that they are more likely to come from one of the breeding farms on the lake side... But they are around 3" and gorgeous, really great looking fish.
So now I will either house them in a standard 90gal. (48x18x24") or in my 120 gal (60x18x26"). As I will have only 11, I am a bit incline to use the 90 gal. for them.
And I'm not planning to keep them with Ikolas, I was just wondering if they behave somehow differently from Ikolas (which I'm used to keep).
Thanks !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.