Lake Tanganyika Species • Troph not eating

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

Troph not eating

Postby zimmy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:17 am

One of my trophs has not been eating the last couple of days. She (I'm guessing it's a she because she's smaller and has less prominent markings compared to my other Muragos) darts toward the food but doesn't take any in her mouth. She seems fine otherwise. I've had the colony for seven months and I'm guessing they range in age from 9 to 11 months.

Could the behaviour I'm seeing be a sign of holding or is it something to be concerned about?
zimmy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby garryism » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:15 pm

hey zimmy!

are you able to tell whether or not the troph has a bulge in it's buccal cavity?
garryism

Postby noddy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:53 am

Watch her closely, if she's holding, you will see her tumble the eggs eventually. If not, and she continues this behavior, I might soak the food in metro for a couple of days and see how she reacts. I have found that turning the lights off seems to go a long way towards helping Trophs "snap out of it".
noddy

Postby zimmy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:29 am

Thanks for the responses. Garryism, I can't detect if there's a bulge. I'll keep monitoring and try your suggestions, noddy, if necessary.

Thanks.
zimmy

Postby 24Tropheus » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:15 am

What size tank and numbers do you have em in?
Yep females holding and females showing first sines of bloat look and act very similar.
You can even have both at once as holding it can be very stressful time for the females.
Dunno I would watch carefully and at the first sine of clear bloat (white poo) and then treat for bloat. Hope I am wrong and its just holding. A photo would help.

If holding she should take flake over the eggs if bloat she will not.
If using pellets then you can not tell. Females with early bloat and holding females will not take pellets IME.

All the best James
Tanks 180, empty revamping 100,65,60g Tropheus/tang communities 75g revamping. 29gx3 shelly communities, 29g Trigs breeding. 20gx2 shelly tanks. BCA member 207. Try it you might like it.
24Tropheus

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species