Equipment & Supplies • Anybody heard of these Canisters?

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby The King Crabb » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:44 pm

Could be a good idea :thumb:
The King Crabb

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Anybody heard of these Canisters?

Postby JohanniMan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:06 am

The King Crabb wrote:CF-500UV Canister Filter with UV9W Sterilizer - 525 gph
by AQUATOP

They seem pretty legit, but I've never even heard of them. They have a UV sterilizer in them, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing since it says it kills bacteria but the bacteria is needed...

I Just joined but I saw your post I own a CF-400 owned for about a week on a 55 with a Fluval C4 and the water have never been more clear.. I love this canister very quiet.. I suggest you buy 1 you wont regret it
JohanniMan

Postby inurocker » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:38 pm

The King Crabb wrote:
inurocker wrote:Yes, it's a SUNSUN with a different name on it. I have one on my 115 Gal. works great. Best bang for the buck I have found.

Is one plenty for your 115G? I was thinking I might need two for my 125G?

I think you are 100% right. I use the sunsun mainly for bio I also use a emperor 400 for mechanical change out the filter pads every two days. I want to replace the 400 it works great for the purpose I use it for but its just too darn loud for my taste.
inurocker

Postby The King Crabb » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:43 pm

Great to hear everyone! I think I'll be buying a CF-400 (or maybe CF-500) this week to test out on my 55G tank. Not that I don't trust everyone who says they're great, but because I'm a "learn by doing" kind of person, plus I can take the tester CF-500 and put it on my 125G with the other one I purchase.
The King Crabb

Postby Andy Somnifac » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:11 am

The CF-400 I bought is scheduled for delivery today. If it works well, this (and/or the CF-500) could end up being my go to filter, thanks to the price.
Andy
Andy Somnifac

Postby Andy Somnifac » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Well, I got my filter today. There's good news, and there's bad news.

Good news:
The canister itself seems sturdy enough, and all the gaskets were lubricated.

Bad news:
When I picked up the box, I knew something was wrong. I could hear the telltale sound of broken glass inside the box. The quartz sleeve around the UV lamp was broken. Without the shield, no water can safely pass through the unit.

Good news that I wish I didn't get because of the bad news:
Tru Aqua seems easy enough to deal with. I called them up, told them what was wrong, was asked to send in pictures of the external shipping box, and pictures of the damaged part, and they said a replacement part should go out today.

Impressions:

As stated, the canister itself seems sturdy enough. The on/off switch is covered, and water proofed. The hoses are the standard run-of-the-mill green hoses you see on everything. The intake and spray bar may be a little flimsy, but I plan on pretty much building them permanent into the background I'm doing, so they should be fine.

The filter comes with a box of bio-balls in addition to a bag of ceramic rings. I still need to figure out how I want to do my bio-filtration. I have a good amount of Seachem Bio-Matrix that I can use, but I still need to decide if I'm going to ditch chemical filtration in favor of more bio media. I could run the middle tray full of the Seachem Bio-Matrix, and the ceramic rings in the top. Any thoughts?
Andy
Andy Somnifac

Postby Andy Somnifac » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Ouch.
Andy
Andy Somnifac

Postby The King Crabb » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:23 pm

Andy Somnifac wrote:Well, I got my filter today. There's good news, and there's bad news.

Good news:
The canister itself seems sturdy enough, and all the gaskets were lubricated.

Bad news:
When I picked up the box, I knew something was wrong. I could hear the telltale sound of broken glass inside the box. The quartz sleeve around the UV lamp was broken. Without the shield, no water can safely pass through the unit.

Good news that I wish I didn't get because of the bad news:
Tru Aqua seems easy enough to deal with. I called them up, told them what was wrong, was asked to send in pictures of the external shipping box, and pictures of the damaged part, and they said a replacement part should go out today.

Impressions:

As stated, the canister itself seems sturdy enough. The on/off switch is covered, and water proofed. The hoses are the standard run-of-the-mill green hoses you see on everything. The intake and spray bar may be a little flimsy, but I plan on pretty much building them permanent into the background I'm doing, so they should be fine.

The filter comes with a box of bio-balls in addition to a bag of ceramic rings. I still need to figure out how I want to do my bio-filtration. I have a good amount of Seachem Bio-Matrix that I can use, but I still need to decide if I'm going to ditch chemical filtration in favor of more bio media. I could run the middle tray full of the Seachem Bio-Matrix, and the ceramic rings in the top. Any thoughts?

Sorry to hear about the broken part! But glad to hear they're easy to work with :wink:

As you to your filtration, I'd put mechanical in there for sure. It never hurts to have a little extra mechanical - plus it will help a little with bio either way. Be sure to put your media in the correct order.
1-Mechanical
2-Bio
3-Chemical (if you have it) or Bio (if you don't use chemical)

I've heard these are much bigger than you'd expect, are they?

Good luck and I hope to hear these work well :thumb:
The King Crabb

Postby Andy Somnifac » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:33 pm

The King Crabb wrote:I've heard these are much bigger than you'd expect, are they?

I was surprised by the size of the canister when I pulled it out of the box. I have an Eheim 2227 wet dry canister (that I stupidly lost the quick connect fitting for the hoses so I can't used it) and the CF-400's canister is at least as big I think.

I already have a tracking number for the sleeve, and they're also including a replacement UV bulb as well, even though the bulb does not appear damaged. Hopefully I will have it early next week.
Andy
Andy Somnifac

Postby The King Crabb » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:18 pm

Andy Somnifac wrote:I was surprised by the size of the canister when I pulled it out of the box. I have an Eheim 2227 wet dry canister (that I stupidly lost the quick connect fitting for the hoses so I can't used it) and the CF-400's canister is at least as big I think.

I already have a tracking number for the sleeve, and they're also including a replacement UV bulb as well, even though the bulb does not appear damaged. Hopefully I will have it early next week.

Good to hear :thumb: Let me know how it does with water clarity!
The King Crabb

Postby JimA » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:41 pm

For the price and what they offer it's a no brainer. And to add customer service. I just picked up a used Eheim 2075 for less than a couple of cases of beer. But it may need a new impeller as well. And lets just say the impeller is half the price of that cannister from what I have found.

And when you look at the price of a FX5 plus the UV you could buy almost 3 of those. Hey they may not last as long, but it sounds as if they are pretty decent and if taken care of will probably go for quite awhile.

Would love to hear further reviews!!
The only difficult day was yesterday.
JimA

Postby GTZ » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:14 pm

Be sure to add your reviews to the reviews section as well. This thread will become buried eventually.
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere'
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby JohanniMan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:57 am

sorry about the broken shipment....but I love my CF 400 as stated before I have that and a fluval C4 on my 55 and the water couldnt be more clear im thinking about getting the 500 for my 75 hex tank.. you will see this filter is very much so worth the cash
JohanniMan

Postby JimA » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:14 pm

So I posted the other day about my leaky Eheim I picked up off C,list for cheap. Well it's sitting in the garbage can :x I tried and tried to get it to work let aside the leak. Besides that their prices for parts are freaking ridiculous!

So I just ordered 2 of the CF-400 filters with free shipping to go in the new (to me) 165 gallon bowfront. I wanted to get the FX5 but for the price at 230+ These just make better sense! To be fair to Eheim, I do have a 2236 on the current tank with no problems what so ever and it will go on the 165 as well. The more I read on the older 2075s it was a no win situation that I didn't want to deal with in the long run.

Lets hope for the best with these things guys!! :thumb:
The only difficult day was yesterday.
JimA

Postby Andy Somnifac » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:47 pm

JohanniMan wrote:sorry about the broken shipment....but I love my CF 400 as stated before I have that and a fluval C4 on my 55 and the water couldnt be more clear im thinking about getting the 500 for my 75 hex tank.. you will see this filter is very much so worth the cash

I hope so. It's going on a 65g tall, so hopefully it does well. Now if only I can find sources somewhat locally to stock it... Tanganyikans are not well represented around here... Maybe some fronts, one place stocks tropheus, but that wouldn't work on a 3' wide tank. Shell dwellers? Nope. Cyps? Nada...

Now to finish the background and get it cycling.
Andy
Andy Somnifac

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment & Supplies