Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Just bought a male Pundamilia Nearer

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: StructureGuy, samaki

Just bought a male Pundamilia Nearer

Postby xeno2000 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:10 pm

Just bought a male Pundamilia Nearer. Just put him in my all male hap/peacock tank it’s a 150 gallon 72x18x27. I know they were aggressive but for a lack of a better word (darn!!!!) He has laid claim to a large rock pile and pretty much does not let anyone one else near it. I am not really seeing any damage to other fish being done. Should I leave him in or think about setting up a 40 breeder and move him to that with some females. I will say this .He is beautiful and I am thinking about getting more into Victorians.
xeno2000

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Fogelhund » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:58 pm

Pundamilia nyererei.... do you know which variant it is?

They don't belong with Haps/Peacocks.
Fogelhund

Postby xeno2000 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:25 pm

To me it looks like Pundamilia nyererei Anchor Island.
xeno2000

Postby SACattack722 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:21 pm

My exp. with these fish is you can't really have them in a tank with to many other fish of different genus, though they do get along with some Mbuba. It all differs on the age and size of your male. Since you've got an 150 gal it should be ok. I would definatly get some females to take his mind off of the other fish. I love those Pundamila's they are awesome! Good Luck! :)
SACattack722

Postby jaymore1 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:41 pm

I keep mine with some pretty aggresive mbuna and he is fine. He doesnt really go after any1 but he def doesnt back down either. The only fish he moves for is the elongatus who is the boss of the tank. I would imagine u are going to have some issues in the not to distant future keeping him with haps and peacocks IMO.
75g All Male mixed tank- Sunshine,Lwanda,Lithobates,Bi 500,G red, Eureka Red,Red Shoulder,P Nyererei,Yellow Labs, Lam Trets, cyno afra red top, OB peacock,Syno Cats
55g- Breeding pair of WC Black Congo Calvus
15g-Fry Tank
jaymore1

Postby CichlidBreeder » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:27 pm

Although not the same fish its from the same family, my Zebra Obliquidens killed my electric blues and peacocks in the first 2 months. :(

good luck with it all. Love to see a photo of your tank :popcorn:
CichlidBreeder

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species