Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Pseudocrenilabrus philander

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  ahud 
#1 ·
Has anybody kept these? I can't find much on them, but they seem like a cool westie. Thinking about grabbing a group.

#2 ·
Just me, but go with p. nicholsi instead.

Great fish. Stunning males. Females spawn at about 1.5". A group with say 2m/6f can do well in a 30 gallon or so. Easy to breed. Not overly aggressive, but males want to spawn 24/7, so have hideouts for females. See some comparison pics here.

#4 ·
I have read that P. Multicolor shows extended brood care and that the female will call the fry back into her mouth when there is danger. I want to see this behavior so bad. Are there any other west african mouthbrooders that will show this behavior?

Would this fish do well with a pair of benitochromis in a 5ft planted tank? Tim, you mentioned Benitochromis to me, have you kept them? I read up on them, awesome fish. May be more of what I am looking for. Will I have a difficult time finding these?

#6 ·
Do you have the book? I'm about 50/50 on buying it. If you have it, persuade me into buying it lol. I'm digging the West Africans, such a different feel to them. I also have the soft water that a lot of them appreciate to boot :thumb: I wish fish related books were not so expensive, but I know there is a great deal of work involved in putting them together.

I seen "random online fish supplier" had wc Benitochromis nigrodorsalis for $19 each. If the fish are sexable, is that a good price? You probably know the vendor I am referring too.
As always thanks for all the time you give up helping me Tim. I feel like I can always get about halfway into stuff and you give me the information to go the rest of the way.

#9 ·
ahud said:
Book bought.

Understandable on the vendors. I will look for a few weeks to get a handle on prices. I will want time to look through the book to decide what fish I want to go after anyway.
I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I went through the whole book and tagged what I was interested in. Many are hard to find and many are expensive, but I've managed to get 10 species. There are about 8 more that I'm interested in keeping, but some are huge, so may never happen.

Also, Google images and videos of any you're interested in, don't just rely on a few pics in the book. I was so-so on some until I saw a video that blew me away.

These guys have been tougher to breed. So far, two out of the 10, meaning successfully raised 10+ fry. You may need patience.

I used to think of only 'kribs' and 'jewels' when westies were mentioned. Lamboj's book opened my eyes to a really great group of fish that I wasn't even aware of.

I'm purposely not mentioning any species names because I'm really curious to see how your list compares to mine. :)

Started my westie community tank with the spare adults. It's coming along. I may have some video soon.

#10 ·
I'll shoot you a PM after I get the book and have time to go through with it. I hope I don't regret using that 72" tank for occies lol.

Hopefully since I have the 5ft 110 and the 4ft 33 long I will be able to keep a few.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.