Lake Tanganyika Species • Cleaning sand under shells

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderator: triscuit

Cleaning sand under shells

Postby Jarrods » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:39 pm

I am about to get some N. Similis. Just wondering how you clean in and around the shells without disturbing them too much?

Thanks
Jarrod
Jarrods

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby reflexhunter » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:36 pm

I generally don't worry about cleaning around the shells to much,but you can use your hand and slightly wave it over the shells to bring the detritus up and away from the shells to a more open area to remove with you siphon.
reflexhunter

Postby mccluggen » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:02 am

I have found that a turkey baster is an awesome tool to have on hand for all sorts of things with a tank. You can use it to squirt down between shells to stir up the sand and get detritus into the water column so it can be siphoned out and removed with a water change.

When you have babies in the tank you might even get to see a really bold male try and kill the baster.
mccluggen

Postby triscuit » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:59 am

Shellies do a pretty good job of keeping the shell bed clean- I typically disturb the shells only when I'm grabbing some of my multies for trade/sale. If the fish have buried too many shells, I'll watch for areas where they aren't actively breeding, and start digging things up there.
triscuit
Global Moderator

Postby Jarrods » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:11 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Was hoping it was that easy.

How deep is the sand you have under the shell bed?
Jarrods

Postby cdavitt » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:13 pm

I started with about 2 inches of sand. The multi's will move the sand and the shells wherever they want it. Most of the shells used for breeding in my 20L have been dug down to the glass.
cdavitt

Postby Jarrods » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:45 pm

So it doesn't really matter then. Just chuck some sand in and they will sort it, thanks for the reply.

Now to decide what to stick in the rock pile!
Jarrods

Postby Jarrods » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:29 am

The person I will be getting the similis from said I could have a few regani juvies for free, do you think they would be ok? Heard they might get a bit big. Here is the rock pile I have waiting for the next step.

Thoughts? The tank is 36" by 12", this takes up approx 1/3.

The other option was leave the julies and get paracyps, 6 or 8. Or find a smaller Julie... To
Many decisions!!! Haha
Jarrods

Postby prov356 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:35 am

Go with the paracyps. Avoid the larger julis for this tank. Smaller julis could work ok, but I'd lean toward letting the similis get a bit established first. I mixed them with transcriptus for a while and the similis were the bosses of the tank. But, I didn't leave the julis long enough to grow out and spawn, so can't say how that would have changed the dynamics.
prov356

Postby Clink51 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:53 am

you can always try what im currently doing in my tank, or at least what im trying to do.
I have a 29g tank and im trying to set a pair of J. marlieri (Gombe) because i currently have 6 juvis and when something is better set up, ill put the shellies in. should be about 2 Julies, 5-6 Multis and 9 zebra danios flying above head
10G - EMPTY
10G - EMPTY
29G - x8 Zebra Danios, Multi Colony (15 -/+ 2)
75G - x13 Cyp. Leptosoma (Utinta), x3 Alto. Comp, x6 Neo. Leleupi (Orange), x4 Tanganicodus Irsacae, x1 Albino Bristlenose
Clink51

Postby Jarrods » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:25 pm

Sounds good to me! Though I am going to use transcriptus.

Will wait and see what I decide. Similis will go in first.
Jarrods

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species