Lake Tanganyika Species • 6" Burundi

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

6" Burundi

Postby aggriffin3 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:19 pm

I may have jumped the gun, this is my first Frontosa. I knew they got big, but apparently my 55 gallon will be way too small soon. How long does he have in a size this small, and how fast do they grow, if he is able to stay in this size for the time being?
He is alone with 5 Synodontis Petricola's (2") and I am worried now after watching him in the first night, that these might be a snack if he can catch them one of these days?
I am thinking of bringing him back to the LFS, although he sure caught my eye, and this LFS attendant didnt say otherwise.

Any help would be of great help.

Thanks

Art

P.S. It all started with me looking for a wet pet, and the rest is history!
My only cichlids to this point are Yellow Labs, Rusties, and Haps.
aggriffin3

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby pdandy88 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:24 pm

I would get a bigger tank now and get 8 more. They really aren't solitary fish. They do better in large groups.
pdandy88

Postby aggriffin3 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:49 pm

I am not really in the position to get a bigger tank $ and space. Again, this might be a situation where I jumped the gun without doing any research and relying on a LFS that knows a lot, but not enough about Frontosa's.
If this is doable in the time being, yes, I would love to keep him, but otherwise, he might just be an overnight room mate...

Thanks

P.S. To be honest, I was planning on getting a JD or Green Terror of juvenile size 1.5", but I saw this Burundi, and I changed my mind.
aggriffin3

Postby aggriffin3 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:54 pm

Well, I took him back as I did more research, and listened to your suggestions. I ended up buying 6 Blue Acara's, and will just wait for them to pair off when they get a little older, and sell the rest back to the LFS.

Thanks
aggriffin3

Postby pdandy88 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Sometimes its tough to get rid of such an awesome fish. But it really was better for the front in the long run. Good luck with the acaras!
pdandy88

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species