Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • 2 jewel cichlids from petsmart fighting or spawning?

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: StructureGuy, samaki

2 jewel cichlids from petsmart fighting or spawning?

Postby clgsgirl » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Roughly 2 weeks ago I brought 2 jewel cichlids and 2 2 acei cichlids from Petsmart. In the last 3 days the bigger jewel has killed both acei and is now chasing the smaller jewel all over the tank and the smaller one is hiding uner plants and has dark stripes on its body. Could they be pairing/spawning or is the big one trying to kill the small one? These are my first cichlids so I don't know much about them. Thanks in advance!
clgsgirl

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby brinkles » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:52 am

I'm no expert on them, but I have read that they get pretty nasty when spawning. Can you post pics so maybe somebody can tell if you have a pair?
brinkles

Postby dielikemoviestars » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:21 pm

Could be either scenario. Pics or, better yet, video would be helpful.
dielikemoviestars

Postby clgsgirl » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:54 pm

Yes I can get some pics of them. In the last two days the little one is bright red and the big one has stopped chasing it. I've got to figure out how to post pictures lol
clgsgirl

Postby clgsgirl » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:55 pm

Yes I can get some pics of them. In the last two days the little one is bright red and the big one has stopped chasing it. I've got to figure out how to post pictures lol
clgsgirl

Postby clgsgirl » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:25 am

Ok so this is not the best pictures but they run away as soon as they see the camera lol.
Last edited by clgsgirl on Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
clgsgirl

Postby clgsgirl » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:29 am

clgsgirl

Postby clgsgirl » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:53 pm

Here are a few more..1 is the big one 2 is the small one 3 is the tank.
clgsgirl

Postby bernie comeau » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:33 am

Large one is the male and the smaller is the female.
It is very obvious by their body shapes-----female is rounder; male is straight (the top and bottom of the fish form parrallel lines). Male has straight slanted forehead. Often, jewels are rather difficult to sex from a picture..... but your pictures show the differences very, very well.
bernie comeau

Postby clgsgirl » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:15 am

Thanks for your reply. That's what my guess was too but I haven't had cichlids before. So when should I be expecting eggs? And would it be a good idea to just keep this a jewel only tank or could I make it a community tank?
clgsgirl

Postby bernie comeau » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:38 am

clgsgirl wrote: So when should I be expecting eggs? And would it be a good idea to just keep this a jewel only tank or could I make it a community tank?

There really is no set time table as to when to expect eggs.....could be days, weeks or months. Generally you would see them cleaning a rock (or other surface) and their breeding tubes getting large, shortly before laying eggs.

In a small tank it can be quite difficult to house anything with a breeding pair of jewels. They can get quite aggressive in defending their eggs or fry, and could kill other tankmates. You could try a group of tiger barbs or giant danios, but there is a pretty good chance they would get killed if your jewels breed.
bernie comeau

Postby clgsgirl » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:39 am

Thank u for all of the info! They laid eggs and 2 days ago they hatched and are now free swimming. The parents are doing an excellent job taking care of them.
clgsgirl

Postby brinkles » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:47 pm

Congrats! you must be doing something right! How many are there, about a billion?
brinkles

Postby czar_wilson » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:30 pm

did both of your jewels turn bright bright red or was it only one??
Rick
czar_wilson

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species