Cichlid Fish Forum banner

My first Tropheus Moorii colony

5K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  des 
#1 ·
I'm stoked about my first colony of Kasakalawes (16 juvi F1s).

I picked them up from a gentleman that have been breeding Tropheus for quite some time. He has a collection of Tropheus that is unreal (eye opener for me). I'm pretty sure if you name it, he's got it. After talking to him and looking at all his fish, I really do appreciate Tropheus more than ever.

I will get some pics up as soon as I can. Right now they are temporarily living in a 35 gallon tank until I can find a good deal on a 4 ft tank.

Just letting all you Tropheus lovers know, I'm on board!

#6 ·
Be careful with Tropheus, they are very addictive, LOL, looking forward to seeing some pics. of your catch, sooner you get the bigger tank though the better. . .

Cheers, Sean

#8 ·
Well, I picked up a 90 gal and metal stand new. Been waiting for a good deal but nothing worth it.

For substrate I've decided to go with PFS (first time use) and mixed in argonite to buffer pH. I have to say it looks really good.

I have two large rocks and want to keep this tank looking really clean and simple.

Filtration I'm running two AC110 with a surface skimmer. Hopefully, this will be adequate.

Lighting I'm going to be using my double bright LEDs

I've filled the tank with water but noticed just before it got to the top trim it's not level. I will have to empty it tonight and try to level the stand/tank before I can start the cycle. It is a new stand designed for the 90 gallon (48" x 18") but it makes me nervous thinking it will collapse or tilt. Perhaps it's just me.

My fish will just have to be patient in their 35 gallon for now.

#10 ·
With the 90g and good filtration as you have and starting with local bred Troph prob close to/or the ideal way of trying Troph for the first time. Not made the beginners mistake of adding lots of rocks like a Mbuna tank (though that can kind of work).
Idealy I would have gone for 24 starters and a 100g but then thats got such good odds on working its a not that much fun.
I guess you did a full fishless cycle on the new tank?
Again great for Troph which can pic up bugs from other fish.
Not that that makes you immune from the dreaded bloat but odds are a great start.

Nice tank hope you enjoy em as much as I have over the years.

I have run tanks of that size with tilts up to an inch. Not that that makes it safe but it was for me.

All the best James

#11 ·
24Tropheus said:
With the 90g and good filtration as you have and starting with local bred Troph prob close to/or the ideal way of trying Troph for the first time. Not made the beginners mistake of adding lots of rocks like a Mbuna tank (though that can kind of work).
Idealy I would have gone for 24 starters and a 100g but then thats got such good odds on working its a not that much fun.
I guess you did a full fishless cycle on the new tank?
Again great for Troph which can pic up bugs from other fish.
Not that that makes you immune from the dreaded bloat but odds are a great start.

Nice tank hope you enjoy em as much as I have over the years.

I have run tanks of that size with tilts up to an inch. Not that that makes it safe but it was for me.

All the best James
Believe me, if I could have gotten more of them I would have. There were only 16 available at the time. I have my eyes open and waiting for some one to part with theirs.

Yes, it was a full fishless cycle the whole way in this tank. I anticipated 3-4 weeks but it took 2-1/2 weeks. This time around I did not lose my patience and did it right. Fortunately, I was able to speed the process by adding filter sponge and substrate from one of my other tanks. It's definitely the way to go and I will never do it any other way.

Right now I have this tank under a microscope. I'm doing very frequent but small water changes and testing the water every other day. I'm definitely enjoying them.

Thanks for posting and sharing your thoughts.

#13 ·
noddy said:
Your tank looks great, I'm sure the Moops will be happy in there. Too bad this thread wasn't made earlier, I gave a dozen or so away not that long ago to my lfs. Ig I am able to catch out a holding female, I will let you know.
:thumb: That would be too cool.

I saw some odd behavior over the weekend. Some fish are not going up to eat during feeding? About 3-4 of them. The rest of them follow my finger almost every time. Is it too early to assume they have bloat? Would it harm them if I put them in quarantine and treat for bloat or should I wait a few more days. They are also breathing heavier than the normal.

Ammonia and nitrite are 0
Nitrate is low
pH 7.6-7.8
temperature 79°F
I have good movement of water at the surface
Feeding spirulina in small portions twice a day
5-6 gallon water change every other day

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.