Aquarium Setup • Fish Room

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

Postby cantrell00 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:04 pm

A few shots of the insulation....

cantrell00

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Picklefish » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:36 am

Hello
I'm in Charleston too. I have s 20x30' insulated steel building for a fishroom.
I have found that in winter I get by with a space heater and a few tank heaters. I also use a dehumidifier and it stays on dang near constantly. For the summertime I have a window AC unit but I only use it when I plan on being in the fishroom for awhile.
I do use a water barrel for water changes as after a heavy rain I can smell the extra chlorine n the water. I'm on Berkeley county water though so you may be different.

Later
Casey
Picklefish

Postby Brooks74 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:06 pm

Looking good so far I was trying to get some 40b tanks also but my Petco never had any in stock during the sale .They claimed it was a shortage and they could only get 2 per shipment but every time they got a truck none would come in.
Brooks74

Postby cantrell00 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:17 pm

Picklefish wrote:Hello
I'm in Charleston too. I have s 20x30' insulated steel building for a fishroom.
I have found that in winter I get by with a space heater and a few tank heaters. I also use a dehumidifier and it stays on dang near constantly. For the summertime I have a window AC unit but I only use it when I plan on being in the fishroom for awhile.
I do use a water barrel for water changes as after a heavy rain I can smell the extra chlorine n the water. I'm on Berkeley county water though so you may be different.

Later
Casey

I am actually in Summerville, Berkeley County also.. Does the room have a vent? I was going to buy a dehumidifier in the even that I needed one. I was going to address as neeed..

I was planning on 6 - 27 gal totes from Lowes for my reservoir. I was going to fill it & add baking soda & epsom salt & dechlorinator to get it to the right pH/harness & use it for water changes.

This room is only 11.5 X 6. I wouldn't mind seeing your setup. Send me a pm if interested..

Thanks..

Looking good so far I was trying to get some 40b tanks also but my Petco never had any in stock during the sale .They claimed it was a shortage and they could only get 2 per shipment but every time they got a truck none would come in.

I had to go to 3 different stores to get the 4 that I have. I already had the fifth. The 3 - 20's were given to me by a friend of mine.
cantrell00

Postby Picklefish » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:51 am

I just use a cheap window fan for a vent. It can get muggy with the windows closed and no vent.
PM sent.
Picklefish

Postby cantrell00 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:23 am

Picklefish wrote:I just use a cheap window fan for a vent. It can get muggy with the windows closed and no vent.
PM sent.

Ok... Yeah, I assumed that humidity could be a problem so I have made several contigencies to deal with it.. I have the capacity to run a A/C unit, dehumidifier, space heater & a vent.

I didn't know what to anticipate so I am going with a "buckshot" approach...
cantrell00

Postby iwade4fish » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:48 pm

I vacation near Boone,NC every year, would love to plan a couple stops to see some rooms when we go next year.?!
iwade4fish

Postby cantrell00 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:08 pm

iwade4fish wrote:I vacation near Boone,NC every year, would love to plan a couple stops to see some rooms when we go next year.?!

I assume you come up I 95? You would be 30 minutes from me if so...

Sure... Would be fun...
cantrell00

Postby iwade4fish » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:39 pm

Yeah, we scoot around Charlotte and take 20something up and 70something over, to some other roads, Linville being the actual destination. Didn't want to give the impression I had Boone kind of money, I don't. Wife's parents do, though!!!
iwade4fish

Postby cantrell00 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:18 pm

I would love for my 10 yr old to eventually end up @ App State.. It is beautiful up there. Particularly in the peek of fall.
cantrell00

Postby Picklefish » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:42 am

I have thought of installing a vent line with a humidistat controller but I worry that exhausting too.much air will cause my heaters to run excessively in the cold months. Also thought of a heat-exchanger but they were a little too pricey.
Right now I use the oil filled floor heater and a dehumidifier in the winter. Windows still sweat but not too bad.
Picklefish

Postby cantrell00 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:53 am

Completed the room.. Now working on building all of the supports for the tanks, etc...
cantrell00

Postby Aulonocara_Freak » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:04 pm

picture's, PICTURE'S, PICTURE'S!
10 gallon:
Wild Type (Class N) Endler's
5 x Otocinclus Catfsh
5 x Amano Shrimp

20 gallon long:
4 x Kribensis + Fry
3 x Amano Shrimp

2.5 gallon:
RCS Tank

65 gallon:
18 x Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi Lemon Jake
Aulonocara_Freak

Postby cantrell00 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:11 pm

I know... I will put some more up tomorrow...
cantrell00

Postby Aulonocara_Freak » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:12 pm

Oh my excuses excuses! :lol: HAHAHA

I am J/K.
10 gallon:
Wild Type (Class N) Endler's
5 x Otocinclus Catfsh
5 x Amano Shrimp

20 gallon long:
4 x Kribensis + Fry
3 x Amano Shrimp

2.5 gallon: