Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Fish Room

54K views 297 replies 46 participants last post by  cantrell 
#1 ·
Still in the design stages but should start soon.

Basically, adding a back wall into a detached garage, insulation, some extra electrical circuits & heat/AC.

6 - 40G Breeders
6 - 33L Tanks

There will also be some 20L's...

See less See more
#29 ·
Can you keep Cynotilapia with peacocks or will they kill the peacocks

Depends on the Cyno... I don't think the peacocks will ever be comfortable with them..

The Lion, sp; Sanga & Lion's Cove variants are fairly docile.. Hara, etc can be aggressive but they really don't ever get out of control...

#32 ·
Hello
I'm in Charleston too. I have s 20x30' insulated steel building for a fishroom.
I have found that in winter I get by with a space heater and a few tank heaters. I also use a dehumidifier and it stays on dang near constantly. For the summertime I have a window AC unit but I only use it when I plan on being in the fishroom for awhile.
I do use a water barrel for water changes as after a heavy rain I can smell the extra chlorine n the water. I'm on Berkeley county water though so you may be different.

Later
Casey

#34 ·
Picklefish said:
Hello
I'm in Charleston too. I have s 20x30' insulated steel building for a fishroom.
I have found that in winter I get by with a space heater and a few tank heaters. I also use a dehumidifier and it stays on dang near constantly. For the summertime I have a window AC unit but I only use it when I plan on being in the fishroom for awhile.
I do use a water barrel for water changes as after a heavy rain I can smell the extra chlorine n the water. I'm on Berkeley county water though so you may be different.

Later
Casey
I am actually in Summerville, Berkeley County also.. Does the room have a vent? I was going to buy a dehumidifier in the even that I needed one. I was going to address as neeed..

I was planning on 6 - 27 gal totes from Lowes for my reservoir. I was going to fill it & add baking soda & epsom salt & dechlorinator to get it to the right pH/harness & use it for water changes.

This room is only 11.5 X 6. I wouldn't mind seeing your setup. Send me a pm if interested..

Thanks..

Looking good so far I was trying to get some 40b tanks also but my Petco never had any in stock during the sale .They claimed it was a shortage and they could only get 2 per shipment but every time they got a truck none would come in.
I had to go to 3 different stores to get the 4 that I have. I already had the fifth. The 3 - 20's were given to me by a friend of mine.

#36 ·
Picklefish said:
I just use a cheap window fan for a vent. It can get muggy with the windows closed and no vent.
PM sent.
Ok... Yeah, I assumed that humidity could be a problem so I have made several contigencies to deal with it.. I have the capacity to run a A/C unit, dehumidifier, space heater & a vent.

I didn't know what to anticipate so I am going with a "buckshot" approach...

#38 ·
iwade4fish said:
I vacation near Boone,NC every year, would love to plan a couple stops to see some rooms when we go next year.?!
I assume you come up I 95? You would be 30 minutes from me if so...

Sure... Would be fun...

#41 ·
I have thought of installing a vent line with a humidistat controller but I worry that exhausting too.much air will cause my heaters to run excessively in the cold months. Also thought of a heat-exchanger but they were a little too pricey.
Right now I use the oil filled floor heater and a dehumidifier in the winter. Windows still sweat but not too bad.

#50 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
Rhinox said:
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
+1
I know. I know. Patience Grasshopper.

I ordered the Cyno groups + Msobo for the six 40 breeders.

Cynotilapia afra Cobwe ''Orange Back'' X 8
Cynotilapia afra Jalo Reef ''Yellow Top'' X 8
Cynotilapia afra Nkhata Bay ''Yellow Blaze'' X 8
Cynotilapia sp. ''Lion'' Mara Rocks X 8
Cynotilapia sp. ''Mbamba'' Mphanga Rocks X 8
Metriaclima sp. ''Msobo'' Magunga X 8

I already have Cynotilapia sp; Hara "Gallireya Reef" & Cynotilapia Lion sp; "Lions Cove"

Sponge filters & pumps are ordered & on the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.