Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Plywood Tank 250gallon

29K views 77 replies 25 participants last post by  Coln 
#1 ·
Hi started this tank a few weeks ago to make this existing tank bigger but have been
reading TFG, 13lazd and 98dak83cam for a while which kinda made my mind up to
go for this tank.
I'm making a 250gallon plywood tank which will be in the garage but viewed from the
lounge. I'm posting it on a uk forum as well hope thats cool, share everything yeah

[
/url]

See less See more
#54 ·
Cobain,
I too am looking at using the West Systems epoxy. I have a couple of questions. Do you mix the 105 with anything like one of their hardeners, or just use it straight out of the can? Also, their website doesn't give coverage rates. Any idea how much square area a quart will cover at proper thickness?
Thanks.

#55 ·
TNprogrammer said:
Cobain,
I too am looking at using the West Systems epoxy. I have a couple of questions. Do you mix the 105 with anything like one of their hardeners, or just use it straight out of the can? Also, their website doesn't give coverage rates. Any idea how much square area a quart will cover at proper thickness?
Thanks.
I used the 105 with 205 hardener, dont go by the coverage on the website that must be okay for boats but not sealing and bearing weight in tanks if that makes sense.
The epoxy is sold by weight here 105 1kg with 205 0.2kg looks to be about quart size as nextup is 105 5kg with 205 1.2kg
My tank's area was about 5m2 and 10kg 105 with 2.4kg 205 would have done and that is with a thicker layer on floor of tank.
West epoxy is a bit on the expensive side but very little odour and I found it okay for a first attempt with epoxy.
Mistake I made not putting thick enough coats on meant more rubbing down and extra coats, not using different colours on coats ie one blue next black so can see coverage easier ( saw that in IceBlue's tank after I did mine )
If you do decide on epoxy buy a box of disposable gloves and if you get some epoxy on a glove change it or it gets messy and I used cheap brushes and just used them once
and binned them, good luck and feel free to ask as you go, Col

#58 ·
I think it's 300 uk gall now, tank size changed during construction but wanted to keep thread
name the same for peeps keeping up to date.
Did a rescape after some territory disputes, a lot calmer and have put main lights on
for longer to get algae on the rocks

#59 ·
wow, everything looks good. except for the rock decor. maybe after it gets more algae on them, they will all blend in well, but it doesn't work for me.

I suggest get a one or two really big round rocks and have the others scattered around them instead of having them kind of piled up. the big rock(s) will give added dimension and will truly show the tanks hugeness.

but the rocks r cool..i kinda am in a bit of envy.

#60 ·
i roughed it to 70 inches instead of 67 inches.. thats where the extra 15 gallons came from.. just a flub on my calculations. and yeah whenever i hear gallons i normally assume US gallons since only a few countries use imperial gallons and only Britain and Ireland have it as an official measurement and quite possibly scotland but **** if i know... my bad again

#74 ·
Have added three big rocks on top, fish are going all the way up the tank now, can't believe its coming up to three years since tank was made bigger still adapting the lighting mainly LEDs but still use the metal halide to get some algae on the rocks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.