DIY - Projects & Ideas • DIY 300'ish Gallon Tank... The Start

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby BigDaddyK » Wed May 18, 2011 2:56 pm

Yeah.. if I didn't have to have the back side of the tank "livable" I would have done the same
BigDaddyK

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby TheFishGuy » Wed May 18, 2011 3:24 pm

I understand completely!
TheFishGuy

Postby BigDaddyK » Thu May 19, 2011 9:05 am

So got home last night and checked on things... Sump had a slow but steady leak. The bottom of the sump was completely soaked so I drained it all out and took it outside for inspection. I found what I think and hope is the only leak

If you look at the right most hole you'll see it's damp and thats the only place I could find that was definitely dripping down to the bottom of the sump. I sanded with 60 grit on the line that those holes made (previous design of the sump baffles that I threw out) and siliconed the #%$& outta it. It's not pretty but I'm confident that I got that particular issue under control.

I had to give it 24 hours so I figured I'd get my UGJ's pump installed. I teflon taped the connectors and started to assemble. The return connection worked well but when I was tightening, by hand mind you, the intake connection I split the impeller cover. Luckily I'm using the same pump for the sump return and I can just swap pumps but I was seriously angered for a min!! In my opinion I shouldn't be able to break the cover when I'm tightening by hand. Frustrating night but I think all in all things are still going quite well and I should be done and cycling tonight. I put a decent piece of foam my current 135 to jump start the cycle. I'll likely also throw in the foam from my 2 HOB filters in that same tank to help out.
BigDaddyK

Postby BigDaddyK » Thu May 19, 2011 1:31 pm

So I have it Built already (no photo's yet) but here is the Sump Design.

This all sits inside the Sump Box that I was working on last night... I think it's self explanatory but questions or comments as always are welcome
BigDaddyK

Postby AussieSwede » Thu May 26, 2011 5:05 am

BigDaddyK wrote:TY AussieSwede Personally I'd wait to make sure my tank holds water but hey.. you go for it if you'd like LOL

TFG... you fill your tank all at once!!??!! I'm not sure my nerves can handle that! I was thinking on filling it 4 - 6 " at a time and checking for leaks... maybe I should grow a pair and make it happen ? :D

Oh Yeah.. I got the additional Pond Armor to finish up the Overflows and Sump :-) should be ready for Filling this weekend

Btw, if you don't mind. How much would I spent for that one? :)
AussieSwede

Postby BigDaddyK » Thu May 26, 2011 8:58 am

Including Pumps, Lighting, Substrate I'm sitting around 1k Canadian Dollars. That includes the additional $100 for the pond armor that wouldn't have been necessary if I had been better at following directions.
BigDaddyK

Postby BigDaddyK » Mon May 30, 2011 7:38 pm

Well no leaks and I added most of the fish tonight :dancing: :dancing:

real camera is dead and I can't seem to find the charger... cell phone foggy photo's is the best I can offer
BigDaddyK

Postby JiggsJedi » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:25 pm

Looks good bro!!! Love it!!! I'm jelly.
JiggsJedi

Postby BigDaddyK » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Today I got 1100 pounds of rock :-)

View from my Couch

And a couple of the fish currently in the tank (Arowana jumped while I was putting rock in.. seems fine now)

BigDaddyK

Postby juststayinthecave » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:16 pm

Congratulations Big Daddy, enjoy the view from the couch, that is one heck of a tank and looks great. It was fun following the build.
juststayinthecave

Postby monisaab » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:35 am

great tank and nice setup...
monisaab

Postby iwade4fish » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:12 pm

iwade4fish

Postby JimA » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:06 pm

While I think it looks impressive, I think you could have done better with the rock. Please don't take this the wrong way, but you have built a beautiful "huge" tank only to throw a pile of rocks in.

In the end it is your tank, but to me it seems you have wasted a lot of space. I do like the rock choice, just not so much of it.
The only difficult day was yesterday.
JimA

Postby BigDaddyK » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:19 pm

No offense taken. I like the amount of rocks in there. I think it looks good in the tank. I appreciate your opinion and if I decide that it's too much then I'll certainly remove some. Also as the fish grow I may find the tank cramped and need to pull out some rocks then too. I have been looking at my 135 and kinda thinking that the rock would look good in that tank too so it's possible I'll want/need to move some there too.

thanks for your thoughts
BigDaddyK

Postby Norm66 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:57 pm

Wow. Nice.
Norm66

PreviousNext

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas