Cichlid Fish Forum banner

DIY 300'ish Gallon Tank... The Start

28K views 126 replies 28 participants last post by  BigDaddyK 
#1 ·
Finally talked the Wife into letting me start my first Plywood Build :dancing:

I have 2 kids and a second job so I can't promise much in the way of speed on this but I started my 300 build tonight. My ultimate goal is to use this tank as a learning curve to build an 870 gallon.

Last night I managed to procure the Plywood (forgot one sheet :( )

Tonight I started on Gluing pieces together as I am not using 2x4 structure on this one. I only managed to get the back piece glued up at this point hoping to get all the cuts for the sides done tomorrow so I can work on it later than I could tonight (4 yr old early bed. Light sleeper etc)

Here's what I managed:

Glue on the First Sheet

Clamped and screwed the second sheet to the first (note the foreman in the window)

Feedback??

See less See more
#53 ·
Starphire is probably going to be the glass I go with but mostly because a found a local glass company that actually can order the starphire for cheaper then regular glass.

Yes that's the wash coat. I was really hoping to be further along at this point but as you've often said TFG... Life Happens.

#57 ·
EPIC FAILURE!!!!

I misread the directions from Butch and TFG on the "main coat"... I didn't add any alcohol and the stuff was soooo "heavy" that it's terribly patchy and uneven and... well frankly i'm a little gutted atm.

I know it can be fixed but I screwed up and i'm frustrated atm

#58 ·
I gotta say to you all. TFG. YOU WERE RIGHT!!! Butch is a really cool guy that knows his stuff. I had to sand and redo the layer but when you read the directions (and absorb them) this product is awesome to work with. FANTASTIC. so easy to use and I'm feeling quite confident about adding water. I don't want to jinx the whole thing but it's a really nice product and that builds confidence!!

I'll try and get a photo in the next day or so.

the only disappointment at this point is that i used more product than I meant to and now I had to order additional. No one's fault but my own. the sump will take a little longer but that's ok as i've had some more time to think it through and I have some additional ideas.

#60 ·
Got the Bulkheads drilled and the Durso's built (not glued)

Also got the return for the sump and the UGJ's drilled too. Here's the whole tank

And a close up for the Sump Return (Left), UGJ Durso (Back Right) and UGJ Return (Front Right)

I plan to paint at least the top fittings of each fixture. I don't know if I'll paint the vertical pipes.

#72 ·
TY AussieSwede Personally I'd wait to make sure my tank holds water but hey.. you go for it if you'd like LOL

TFG... you fill your tank all at once!!??!! I'm not sure my nerves can handle that! I was thinking on filling it 4 - 6 " at a time and checking for leaks... maybe I should grow a pair and make it happen ? :D

Oh Yeah.. I got the additional Pond Armor to finish up the Overflows and Sump :) should be ready for Filling this weekend

#73 ·
I have been following this with much interest, I plan on doing something like this once I have my own place.

I know you are not finished yet, but how much effort would you say something like this takes? I am fairly building savvy, maybe when you're done you could share some of the particular hardships, the easy parts, is it worth it, etc. A spectator/soon to be builder would greatly appreciate it!

Ps, this tank is awesome and when its done its going to be amazing, you've done a great job! :thumb:

#76 ·
JoelRHale said:
I know you are not finished yet, but how much effort would you say something like this takes? I am fairly building savvy, maybe when you're done you could share some of the particular hardships, the easy parts, is it worth it, etc. A spectator/soon to be builder would greatly appreciate it!
The overall effort is minimal in my opinion. I use building as a bit of an outlet and it's fun for me so effort isn't in the equation. I would add that you really need to think things through on a build of this nature as "step 1" may have a direct impact on "step 15".

I did have issues with the plywood using the method of gluing them together. I didn't think about the bowing. All the plywood I purchased had a natural sag/bow. I should have glued the back with the bow opposite on the two pieces so they would have worked against eachother to make a more straight back.

I also accidentally didn't fully follow the instructions on the epoxy. I somehow missed the step of adding isopropyl/denatured alcohol to the product. This was an error on my part and not the product by anymeans. The product is really easy to use if you just follow the directions.

I definitely think it was worth it. Total cost will likely be around $1100 CAD it's not cheap but I feel a personal satisfaction with doing it myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.