Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Post Pics of your Altolamps!

171K views 410 replies 107 participants last post by  Ram-Finatic 
#1 ·
I am sure this thread has been done before but I know everyone likes pictures as much as I do. So, please post a few favorite pics of your altolamps. It is OK to repost old favorite pics again too.

Also, please identify what species it they are!

Close ups are great and please post at least one full tank shot.

#207 ·
shellies215 said:
Heres one more pic of my gold heads. You can see how small they are compared to the shells/filter intake
Very nice - you will love them more and more as they develop.

Muzi Gold Heads are probably my favorite altolamp. They are one fish that pictures DO NOT do justice. They are much nicer in person than in their pictures. There is a warmth in their coloration that cameras have a hard time capturing. If it wasn't for this camera thing, I think they would be most people's favorite altolamp too.

I almost didn't get my wild caughts because I didn't care about how they looked in the pictures. My friend, who sold them to me, convinced me to buy them even though I didn't like the pictures. He knows my taste and I trust him (so I purchased a pair). My only dissappoinment was that I only ordered two instead of six. Muzi's are probably the nicest of all the gold heads (IMHO) and we just don't see them (Muzi) come in from the lake all that often. Last summer was an exception. I want more :wink:

#208 ·
jrf said:
Here's a few photos of my female Calvus in her new 55 gallon. She's not generally shy, but she likes to hide whenever I break out my camera.
Very nice!

They are smart fish. I've got a new camera and my alltos don't recognize it and have been more shy since I changed cameras. LOL - that is the truth!

A trick for ya, leave your camera on a tripod in front of the tank. They will start to trust it the more they see it.

#210 ·
Razzo said:
They are smart fish. I've got a new camera and my alltos don't recognize it and have been more shy since I changed cameras. LOL - that is the truth!
No doubt. They are smart little buggers. In her case, she hides BECAUSE she recognizes my camera and the flash scares her. None of my other fish seem to care much about the flash, but she acts like I’m shooting lightning bolts at her every time it goes off. :lol:

#211 ·
No doubt. They are smart little buggers. In her case, she hides BECAUSE she recognizes my camera and the flash scares her. None of my other fish seem to care much about the flash, but she acts like I’m shooting lightning bolts at her every time it goes off. :lol:[/quote]
LMAO

#219 ·
Thought I'd bump this thread with some new pics of my Altolamprologus compressiceps Muzi gold head group. I added four more Muzis to the existing two that I already had: in hopes of getting them breeding (like my calvus do). I love having a tank full of Muzis! The competition between the males, the females getting biffy with each other over a choice shell. With six of them, they are not shy at all and they display full finnage for me each time I approach the tank. In any event, here are a couple new pics of my Muzis :D

This guy is my alpha (which I am thrilled that he has won out as he is my favorite)
Of course, this image has been "Paint Shop Pro'd" - I am thinking of making it my new avatar

Couple of the females getting biffy with each other. I got lucky capturing this image with my point and shoot camera.
With point & shoot cameras, I prefocus (to defeat shutterlag) and follow the desired subject around the tank (creeping in or out a tad to compensate for the fishes location relative to my prefocused image) - sound complicated :lol:

#224 ·
Bump :)

Hey guys, I took some pics of my wild Muzi gold head comps... thought I'd update and bump this thread. I have been enjoying everyone's photos :)

Altolamprologus compressiceps Muzi gold head

Close up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.