Illness, Health & Nutrition • how long does bloat last?

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderators: Robin, GTZ

how long does bloat last?

Postby aprildawn » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:48 am

I have a T. Intermedius that has not been eating, stringy poops, hiding sometimes & gasping for over a week. i did a 50% water change & started treating with metro about 6 days ago. the intermedius is no longer gasping but still is not eating. how long does it take for bloat to go away? all of the other fish in the tank are fine.
80 G - All-Male - Dragonblood, Eureka Red, C.Moori, yellow labs, acei yellow tails, synodontis petricola, nerite snails, MTS
10 gal - multies
40 gal - SA tank in the planning stage
aprildawn

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby m1ke715m » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:42 pm

they usually die in my experience... i have yet to cure a fish of bloat.... however i found this article very useful http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... hp?t=24132 ... i treated my tank with clout that the fish had bloat and died in.. havent had any bloat since... yet!!
m1ke715m

Postby GTZ » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:51 pm

Try adding a tablespoon per 5 gallons of epsom salt along with the metro. Dissolve first in a glass with tank water and add gradually.
If you haven't been doing any water changes during your week long treatment, perform a 50% water change, add the salt as above and continue the metro treatment the following day.
Increase temp to 80 with plenty of aeration and leave the tank lights off.
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby cichbillyia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:10 pm

I was told its incureable. You can treat the symptoms not the disease? Not sure thats true tho.
110gal 6ft 35-40 malwais. Jewels convicts white top haras blue ahlis lab albino zebra pleco ans sae . 55gal with a jaguar ciclid. and a 25gal hex with OB peacocks 3 ice blue ahilis clown loaches red zebra convicts white top hara
cichbillyia

Postby m1ke715m » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:14 pm

i think once they get the bloated stomach they are done for... if you catch it when it starts when they just arent eating then its cureable
m1ke715m

Same here

Postby jeanine » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:45 pm

I lost all my fish due to bloat. Tried Epson salt and 50% water change.
jeanine

Postby eeztropheus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:20 pm

Bloat lasts until your fish are dead. However if you catch it early enough it can be cured. I had a bloat out break in my tropheus tank once, I lost 2 but saved the rest. I treated with metro twice a day for 5 days kept the tank covered (dark) and no feeding the whole time. Remove all carbon from filters. 30% wc every other day (before first dose of metro for the day) After the 5 day treatment feed very sparingly with metro soaked food and keep a close eye on your fish.
eeztropheus

Postby DJRansome » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:55 pm

Wow what a downer thread, LOL. I can usually cure bloat and even more often prevent it. I like metronidazole but I have used clout successfully too. :thumb:

With the clout treatment I did not feed until after treatment. With metronidazole the fish are usually still eating (most of them) so they start to improve after the 2nd day although I continue for the full treatment.

Never had a fish not eat after 6 days.

Maybe it was not bloat?
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition