Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Tropheus Sp. Kaiser

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Ames 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have asked this question in the african cichlid section but was directed to the Tanganyika forum for your expertise!

this is what I would like to stock:

Pseudotropheus Demasoni
melanchromis maingano
metriaclima estherae (red zebra)
cynotilapia sp. hara galireya reef

Only problem is I would really like to throw some more yellow colour in there... I would like to keep away from fry being hybrids so I was wondering if it is possible to add a Tropheus Sp. Kaiser to the list... they are amazing looking fish and I would love to keep some without having any cross breeding issues... I understand they are quite aggressive and need to be kept in larger numbers? would this fish blend ok with my 4 fish I would like to stock?

#5 ·
The species I worry about most is the demasoni and their aggression levels in terms of mixing with tropheus, especially if you plan to keep 15. I always recommend that if mixing species, that the tropheus colony be the dominant group.

There's a good chance this this mix would be fine, but I'm going to suggest no less than 16 tropheus. I'm also going to suggest that if your demasoni are adults, that the tropheus be introduced first and allowed to establish dominance. If you are not able to do that, then changing up the rock work is almost a necessity.

Tropheus are most vulnerable to bloat right after shipping. as they have been purged for travel and are stressed out and an empty tropheus gut is prime territory for nasty flagellates and bacterial infestations.

And then again, what I've been reading of late is that the aggressive streak in demasoni seems to be getting bred out of the fish.

Either way, if you are not prepared to go with at least a dozen tropheus, don't bother. And I say a dozen but I really mean that number as minimal.

#6 ·
I have been reading mixed reactions to this topic and mostly it has been negative and the tropheus should be kept in large numbers by themselves...I have noticed that the tropheus are very expensive? is this the most expensive cichlid around?

#8 ·
Hi, I replied in another forum about your situation. I got both of my F1 colonies from a good breeder here in that is a sponser of this forum. I will get flamed for putting his name in this post so I will pm you. He was having a really good sale at the time. Pretty sure I paid $5 a fish. Didnt have them shipped because I live within a couple hours of him. If you end up getting some Trophs you will end wanting a tank for just them so you might as well do it now. haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.