South American Cichlids • Green Terror Pictures

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Green Terror Pictures

Postby LSBoost » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:33 pm

LSBoost

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby olsonwa07 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:43 pm

looks amazing!!!!! Just got myself a GT, I love him to death, will prolly end up being the only fish in my 55, maybe with a rainbow shark >.> if they will be ok together. Gotta see.

Did you use a high quality camera? They look spectacular. His facial markings are superb, did they always come in like that or did he get more as he matured?
olsonwa07

Postby LSBoost » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:59 pm

It get more colorful everyday. I use a cannon 30D with a 70-200mm L IS. Could barely get enough light with that len indoor so I use ISO 1600.
LSBoost

Postby Chromey » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Very Nice
Chromey

Postby love-my-fish » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:37 pm

Awesome pics..... i just a male and female juvie i'm growing out to go with my J.D's... hope they will be okay together......
love-my-fish

Postby LSBoost » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:35 am

umm.. I hope your JD and GT will be okay. My JD and GT live together since they were about 2 inches in length. One day when the JD was about 7 inches he started being all aggressive and beat up the smaller 5 inches (at the time) GT (GT takes longer to grow). I had to separate the tank with a separator. I'm waiting for my Oscar to grow a bit more and then move the GT in with him. Hope everything work out or else one fish will have to go to the LFS :(
LSBoost

Postby love-my-fish » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:01 pm

I hope they will to... i will never bring my fish to a local fish store.... would rather somehow try to keep them or give them to someone who really would take care of them. I actually put in a 2 inch female with my full grown male jack and she is now about 7 inches.... he didn't attack her which i was surprised..... we will see once they get bigger... but they are going to be going into either a 135 gallon tank or a 210 gallon tank..... not sure yet.........
fingers crossed for down the road....
cheers and thanks for the heads up......
love-my-fish

Postby benny71 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:39 pm

Awesome!

Green Terrors are some of the prettiest fresh water fish, IMO.

I have a 3" GT in a tank with my flametail peacocks and yellow labs because I was told he would be fine with them...I've since learned(read) differently, so I'll have to find a new home for him before he matures. :?

(Yes, I'm a newb to fish and should have researched before I just took a LFS owner's word for it :roll: )
benny71

Postby oldcatfish » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:35 am

benny71, though it's certainly not ideal, the GT might be ok long term with your other fish, if it's a large tank that's decorated properly.

Decorate the tank with a large overhanging tree root/driftwood on one side, with a rockpile (with a lot of caves) on the other. Leave a mostly open space in between. The GT normally will claim the driftwood, and the Africans will normally claim the rocky area. That setup usually even works with more aggressive CA cichlids and Africans.
oldcatfish

Green Terror Pictures

Postby walterharris » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:45 am

hey, I was wondering if any1can help me out I have a female green terror9cm, Oscar15cm and two pictus cats in my 4ft tank. My green terror has laid some eggs and is protecting them a lot, can some1 tell me what I should do with them? thanx
walterharris

Postby mlancaster » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi walterharris,

The eggs will not be fetile and once the GT relizes this (when they turn white) she will eat them herself. That is if the pictus cats do not get to them first.

Thanks,
Matt
mlancaster

Postby benny71 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:46 pm

oldcatfish wrote:benny71, though it's certainly not ideal, the GT might be ok long term with your other fish, if it's a large tank that's decorated properly.

Decorate the tank with a large overhanging tree root/driftwood on one side, with a rockpile (with a lot of caves) on the other. Leave a mostly open space in between. The GT normally will claim the driftwood, and the Africans will normally claim the rocky area. That setup usually even works with more aggressive CA cichlids and Africans.

Thanks for the tip(s)!

I'm not sure it will work, because it's only a 55g, but if you think I could put the rock on one side and some driftwood on the other and they could live peacefully, I'll definitely give it a shot.

Right now I have 12 Flametail Peacocks(I will be thinning them down as I figure out who's male and female) and 4 yellow labs in there with the green terror...In a 55g, is there any way that could work?

Also, if it would, what shape of driftwood would work best?

Thanks!
benny71

Postby Manoah Marton » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:26 pm

Beautiful pics. LSBoost. Got anymore?
:thumb:
There's something wrong with having an entire food chain at your home.
Manoah Marton

Postby oldcatfish » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:40 pm

It might work in the 55g if the GT is female. A male GT will need a bit more room.

The driftwood that works best is something that will simulate a tree root or branch, hanging down into the water at an angle. I place them from the back corner facing downard toward the front. Then leave about a 18 inches of open space. On the other 18 inches or so of the tank, make a large rockpile with about 2 caves per African cichlid.
oldcatfish

Postby benny71 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:59 pm

oldcatfish wrote:It might work in the 55g if the GT is female. A male GT will need a bit more room.

The driftwood that works best is something that will simulate a tree root or branch, hanging down into the water at an angle. I place them from the back corner facing downard toward the front. Then leave about a 18 inches of open space. On the other 18 inches or so of the tank, make a large rockpile with about 2 caves per African cichlid.

Thanks!

Can you tell me how big/old a GT needs to be before you can tell the sex? Mine is about 3 inches.

Edit: Here is a 2 or so week old picture...He/she has grown some since then.

benny71

Next

Return to South American Cichlids