Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Post Cynotilapia Pictures!

78K views 249 replies 72 participants last post by  promoe 
#1 ·
I wanted to create a post for Cynotilapia pictures... Please post any you have of your Cynos!

#78 ·
I have a bunch of C. Afra 'Jalo Reefs' and its at about 2" that the dominant male will show his coloring a majority of the time. It really depends on how much territory there is and how many females are around too. When isolated, they look pretty boring. But get a group of them and you can watch them forever.

#83 ·
not all my cynos, but the ones that I have decent photos of...

cobwe (both males are always colored; on a side note granulosus are amazing, she will eat pellets right from my fingers)

axelrodi (he will occasionally show strong black markings)

'elongatus mbenji blue' (rarely shows full potential, here is about half)

'lion' Sanga (when I first got him his pelvic fins were much longer, but the other fish decided he didn't need them that long)

#86 ·
Still juvies at 1 1/2", but here is one of my Jalo Reefers. No sooner did I ask when, and then they started showing more color :D ! Not nearly as much as the other larger ones here, but they are showing promise.

#93 ·
why_spyder said:
They are Cynotilapia sp. "Chinyankwazi" from either Chinyankwazi or Chinyamwezi... I am not sure if Ad had split the two islands into separate species or not. Hopefully nick a will chime in with what he knows about them - he's done some research on these.
Cool thanks. Nick do you have females too? Do you have a picture of one?

#94 ·
loverjw, very nice looking afras--the lions are looking good too!

ladybugzcrunch,
Brian nailed it. C. sp. 'chinyankwazi' Chinyankwazi (while Ad considers the three populations to be one species; recent DNA analysis would tend to make the case that they are separate).

Adult female

Adult male (the other pic is of a juvenile just getting his colors going)

A little more info on them here:http://www.usafishbox.org/lake-malawi-f24/cynotilapia-sp-chinyankwazi-t892.htm

#98 ·
I have had my first cyno group for almost month now. I have f1 cyno lion "sanga" its hard to get a pic, but he looks amazing even at barely over 1.5''. his yellow is just starting to come in... felt i should revive this thread. Its a great one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.