South American Cichlids • Transporting Oscars & blood parrot fish

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Transporting Oscars & blood parrot fish

Postby captlopez » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:25 pm

I am currently moving to arizona and have 2 parrot fish and 2 oscars. How would I go about transporting these fish from long beach california to tucson arizona. If your not familiar with the miles or time its about 500 miles and i can get there in 6 to 7 hours tops. So if everyone could please give me advice so I can keep these gorgeous fish alive the whole way. Thank you!
captlopez

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby oscars4me » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:00 am

Styro coolers, battery powered air pumps. Carry some fresh water and do a water change half way.
125gal 1 Tiger O, 1 JD, 5 SD's, 1 Snow King Pleco, 1 Firemouth
90gal 1 Lutino O, 1 SD
oscars4me

Postby TheFishGuy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:49 am

Even simpler... Rubbermaid container and a battery powered pump. No water change necessary. The move wil be stressfull enough, doing a waterchange halfway through will make it more stressfull.
TheFishGuy

Postby captlopez » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:42 pm

could i put the fish in the tank and the air tubes and transpor the fish like that or do they have to b in the coolers
captlopez

Postby TheFishGuy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:56 pm

I wouldn't move glass with water in it...
TheFishGuy

Postby Toby_H » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:03 pm

I definitely would not move glass tanks with water in them...

18 Gal Rubbermaid containers are cheap work great for transporting fish... then make great storage containers for storing fish stuff that isn't used on a regular basis...

I recently moved from North Carolina to Michigan. I had 14 Rubbermaids half full of water containing fish in the back of a Penske truck for over 24 hours. The water will splish and splash enough to keep the water surface aerated...

I put rocks, driftwood and sand in each Rubbermaid along with the water and fish… This kept enough bacteria alive to set all the tanks back up and not have any detectable ammonia/nitrite spikes… and helped keep any potential spikes in check during transfer…

If you are super concerned about ammonia/nitrite during transport, dose a bit of Prime in each container before moving them. Prime (and some other dechlorinators) claim to “bindâ€
The happier you make your fish the happier they will make you

Minimum requirements means minimum happiness for all
Toby_H

Postby twohuskies » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:04 pm

Slight T/J

I recently moved from North Carolina to Michigan.

You're gone from NC??? :o :o :o Seriously????? :( :( :( :(
twohuskies

Postby captlopez » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:41 am

thanks for all the advice also noticed today that my two red barb fish have a couple of scales faded white and my silver dollars had ick on them but no other fish did. i isolated them and put that ick medicine in there so hopefully by tomorrow they will b ok. my question is do the white faded scales mean that they are getting the ick as well. im not to sure about the whole ick thing and how quick it spreads to the other fish i hope i caught it soon enough so if you guys could help me with to better understand this stuff and how to prevent it in the future. thank you guys and girls
captlopez

Return to South American Cichlids