Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Who spawned in your tank today ?!!!!

311K views 2K replies 421 participants last post by  Iggy Newcastle 
#1 ·
A. Stuartgranti Maleri Island- 1st spawn so not expecting much from her

F1 Cyno. Afra Cobue- 1 of 3 holding, other 2 have tubes down- whoohoo, love this fish

#55 ·
i thought it was another male sc. fryeri, BUT i saw this one and the alpha male doing "tha dance" -lo and behold, were holding!

only thing is, *** never had a female fryeri and i dont think that is really what she is, but the babies should be nice-looking; although hybrids.

If she is not a fryeri i have no idea what she is, maybe a hap mix possibly a hapadoodle?

#60 ·
i cant keep track of all my spawns.....hongi, zebras, labs, and exasperatus constantly goin at it.....still waitin on my newest cons too form a pair as well :p

#61 ·
Our first mouthbrooder spawned today!

We got to watch as our Ps. Acei "Yellow Tail" did their little mating ritual. She has a MOUTHFUL! We put her in a partitioned 29 gallon (Kribs on one side, she's on the other. hehe). Then, just an hour or so later, we had two yellow labs spawn! So now we have 2 holding mommas!

We are trying to figure out what to do with the Yellow Lab momma. Can we put her in the same tank with the holding Acei? We're thinking of taking the Kribs back to the pet store for the tank space. :( We're going to set up a 10 gallon to use as a hospital tank, also. With mbuna growing, we're gonna need one, I'm sure.

#62 ·
i wouldnt put her in the same tank ....asking for trouble IMO....i would just ket her spit in the main tank....theyll spawn again ill guarantee it :thumb:

#63 ·
BRANT13 said:
i wouldnt put her in the same tank ....asking for trouble IMO....i would just ket her spit in the main tank....theyll spawn again ill guarantee it :thumb:
Gotcha, thanks. I was just worried because she was getting chased so much that she positioned herself almost vertical behind the filter intake to hide for a long time. I guess she finally found a good spot in the rocks because she moved eventually. We're hoping to get some really nice clean yellow labs... the market's so saturated with lousy quality ones, it seems... it is where we are, anyway! We picked some up locally and they're just AWFUL! Tons of black barring, a couple even have horizontal stripes! YUCK!!

We're thinking about getting a 55 gallon that we can partition off to put multiple mommas in, then move the babies through as they grow depending on age/size until they're ready to either sell or go to the main tank. We'll probably have a Maingano momma holding by tomorrow. LOL That way, it'll be like we have a rack of 5 nursery tanks in one! :lol:

In His love,

#64 ·
Maranatha! said:
BRANT13 said:
Gotcha, thanks. I was just worried because she was getting chased so much that she positioned herself almost vertical behind the filter intake to hide for a long time. I guess she finally found a good spot in the rocks because she moved eventually. We're hoping to get some really nice clean yellow labs... the market's so saturated with lousy quality ones, it seems... it is where we are, anyway! We picked some up locally and they're just AWFUL! Tons of black barring, a couple even have horizontal stripes! YUCK!! Corsin (my hubby) had his laptop handy, so he did the original post.

We're thinking about getting a 55 gallon that we can partition off to put multiple mommas in, then move the babies through as they grow depending on age/size until they're ready to either sell or go to the main tank. We'll probably have a Maingano momma holding by tomorrow. LOL That way, it'll be like we have a rack of 5 nursery tanks in one! :lol:

In His love,

#65 ·
Maranatha! said:
BRANT13 said:
Gotcha, thanks. I was just worried because she was getting chased so much that she positioned herself almost vertical behind the filter intake to hide for a long time. I guess she finally found a good spot in the rocks because she moved eventually. We're hoping to get some really nice clean yellow labs... the market's so saturated with lousy quality ones, it seems... it is where we are, anyway! We picked some up locally and they're just AWFUL! Tons of black barring, a couple even have horizontal stripes! YUCK!!

In His love,
i wouldnt portion of a 55G for a bunch of moms.....if you are serious about keeping the fry i would get a few 10G or a couple 20G and just strip the moms around day 20 or so of the holding period.....strip the fry right into the tank or a container and put them in the tank.....taking out the moms is really stressful when u have to put her back in the tank....she may lose her status in the group...itll be alot easier to do it this way :thumb:

#69 ·
maranatha where is that name from.. there is a church camp with that name from here.. where is it biblically.. sorry mods maranatha plz pm me the answer thanks

#74 ·
Acei yellow tail - I stripped 45 babies today. About 2 weeks ago had a mom spit 19 into main tank so didn't want to have to pull all the rock to catch babies. On the last batch, I thought we had gotten them all but there is still one hiding in the rocks as big as the one I moved to the nursery.

Now I just have to figure out where to go with them all. :)

#76 ·
3 Cyp Leptosoma Blue Flash. Had to tear the 55 gallon tank apart to get her. Only 3 babies. 3 more than I had!! I'm tryng to build my colony up. Started with 4, 1M 3 females. Last time I caught her at night, and the babies got killed by larger Saulosi in the tank. This time, they get a 10 gallon tank to themselves after I let them out of the breeder net.

Also saw one tiny Similis fry in my 29 gallon. Not sure if there are any more!

#77 ·
I left the lights off and didn't feed them for one day and found one of my Lithobates is holding! Looks like I gotta get my chaulosi and eureka fry outa my fry tank now!