DIY - Projects & Ideas • G.E. Silicone 1

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby Hthundar » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:06 am

Use aquamend that comes in a squeeze tube. it says aquarium safe right on it. you can get it at any hardware store.
55g - Mbuna/Peacock
30g - Mbuna
20g - Grow out
5g - Nursery

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest" - Ben Franklin
Hthundar

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby bntbrl » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:26 pm

I posted this on antoher thread but thought Id put it here too. I used Silicone II for a background a couple months ago and all fish and shrimp and plants are doing well. I let it cure for a week or so before doing anything with it.
bntbrl

Postby gurvir19 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:24 pm

to glue texas holey rock together you guys recommend silicone or aquamend?
gurvir19

Postby cjacob316 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:27 pm

the acid keeps the silicon from solidifying while it's in the casing, but once it hits air the acid starts to vaporize and dissipate, the silicon is dry and cured once all of the acid is gone, that's why it doesn't harm the fish
cjacob316

Postby get_up_mark » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:34 am

i had a tube a tube lying around of silicon. it says 100% silicone. G.E. 1* i dont know what the astric stands for. the tube is white and has blue writing. the silicon is clear though. also on the back it says not to use it in aquariums. its for windows. doors. attic and basement. anyone know what the difference is with the astric?
get_up_mark

Postby Malawi_Junkie » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:08 pm

Used it on my 220 and it worked great. Very strong smell though.
Malawi_Junkie

Postby Malawi_Junkie » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:11 pm

Make sure to get the 100% silicone clear ,with out the mold and mildew resistant stuff in it these chems will kill your livestock.
Malawi_Junkie

Postby Toby_H » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:04 pm

Hthundar wrote:Use aquamend that comes in a squeeze tube. it says aquarium safe right on it. you can get it at any hardware store.

I've never used Aquamend and am not discouraging anyone else from using it...

But I believe the purpose of this thread is to let people know that GE I Silicone Window & Door is safe to use, despite the warning on the label...

bntbrl wrote:I posted this on antoher thread but thought Id put it here too. I used Silicone II for a background a couple months ago and all fish and shrimp and plants are doing well. I let it cure for a week or so before doing anything with it.

The 'Bio Seal' in GE II is an ammonia based additive. So it is a gamble as to whether or not our tank's biofiltration will be able to safely handle the ammonia that leaches out of it.

get_up_mark wrote:i had a tube a tube lying around of silicon. it says 100% silicone. G.E. 1* i dont know what the astric stands for. the tube is white and has blue writing. the silicon is clear though. also on the back it says not to use it in aquariums. its for windows. doors. attic and basement. anyone know what the difference is with the astric?

GE I Silicone Window & Door is aguarium safe... It does say "not for aquariums" on the label, but it is aquarium safe...

GE I used to say "aquarium safe", but when GE started supplying All Glass with silicone (and All Glass repackages & resold the silicone) part of the contract was that GE would print "not for aquariums" on the label...

Malawi_Junkie wrote:Make sure to get the 100% silicone clear ,with out the mold and mildew resistant stuff in it these chems will kill your livestock.

I completely agree that anything that is "mold & mildew resistent" or contains "bio seal" is not safe for aquarium use.

But both GE I Silicone & DAP (non plus series) comes in a small variety of colors and these colors (including black and almond, both of which I've used) are aquarium safe.
The happier you make your fish the happier they will make you

Minimum requirements means minimum happiness for all
Toby_H

Postby Tinga » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:42 pm

So is this the actual GE Silicone people are using ?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=47209-72643-LW012A&lpage=none

At $4 a tube, I'd say that's pretty good compared to $9-13 for the smaller aquarium marketed stuff.
It's the GE Silicone 1, but in the description it says Mildew resistant.

Not sure if that is just a by-product of silicone or an additive..
Tinga

Postby Toby_H » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:02 pm

I've thoroughly read the Lowe's page you linked for us and I see absolutely no mention o fbeing Mildew Resistant... Can you please state specifically where you see it?

I'ev also reviewed GE's sight and they make absolutely no mention of GE I being Mildew Resistant... But the GE II does...

GE I - http://www.caulkyourhome.com/ge-silicon ... d-door.php

GE II - http://www.caulkyourhome.com/ge-silicon ... d-door.php

*Note - www.gesealants.com which is an official GE site reroutes to the above links... feel free to veryify this...

This thread is full of posts which contain simple mistakes that can be very misleading... please read thoroughly and double check statements made here...

Toby_H

Postby Tinga » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:28 pm

In the description at the bottom, in the blue box.
Wasn't sure of it's actually labeled from GE that way, or Lowes?
Caulk Type: Silicone
Warranty: Lifetime
Use: Indoor/Outdoor
Surface Applied To: Multiple
Dry Color: Clear
Size - Measurement (oz.): 9.8
Product Set Time: 30 minutes
Category: Window and Door
Paintable: No
Mildew Resistant: Yes
Sanded / Unsanded: Unsanded
Color Family: Clear
Tinga

Postby Toby_H » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:50 pm

^ Thanks, I did miss that on the Lowe's website...

The GE site doesn't mention Mildew Resistant for GE I... I haven't bought/read that new package so I can't comment with certaincy what the label says, but in the several photos of the new packaging I've seen online I have not been able to find any notation of Mildew Resisance on the packaging...

I actually bought some GE I Window & Door last night and used it today on a terrarium, but the Ace Hardware I bought it at had the 'old' (grey) packaging...

Toby_H

Postby Tinga » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:02 pm

Okey Dokey

I'll pick some up and use it. Luckily I'm doing a DIY background on a 10 gal. :P
Tinga

Adhesives for aquarium use

Postby Hafizullah » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:54 am

Gorilla Glue is inert and food-safe when cured, according to the representative I spoke to at the company. I wouldn't use it to seal a tank, but I do use it to stick things to each other inside it.
Hafizullah

Postby gatorsaver » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:52 pm

Gorilla Glue hummmm :-?
gatorsaver

PreviousNext

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas