Cichlid Fish Forum banner

G.E. Silicone 1

412K views 257 replies 150 participants last post by  SirD 
#1 ·
#152 ·
It is safe. GE Silicone I Windows and Doors used to say "Aquarium Safe" on the tube but got taken off.

I am pretty sure the reason why it doesn't say "Aquarium Safe" anymore is because GE and All-Glass Aquariums got together to make a silicone product for AGA. Which AGA/Aqueon charges like $13 a tube and it is "Aquarium Safe".

That is why when you call GE they will tell you that it is not aquarium safe so you will go buy the more expensive AGA/Aqueon silicone.

It's all about the money.

#156 ·
I have used GE sicone 1 and 2, my friends like silicone 2 better. people say it has that mildew resistant chemical that leaches into the water and kills your fish. That is not true. I have used it and my friends have used it with no ill effects.

#157 ·
Hi

Last week I finished my DIY background and siliconed it to the back of my tank. It's been on there since last Wednesday (March 11) morning. I want to put water in, but I can still smell the silicone. Can I put water in or no?

It's a 55 gallon tank. Background is slate siliconed to plastic siliconed to the glass. I have put the sand and rock in there already, it's just waiting for water now.

The silicone was GE I window and door.

Any help appreciated!

#158 ·
****!!!!!!!!!!!! i am finishing up a diy background and i used ge #1 **** can i use or cant i.. help please

#161 ·
I just used silcone I in small qty for adhering a 3D background.

I read the MSDS posted above, and while I am not a trained chemist, I didn't see any ingredients in that MSDS that look like fungicide.

The most dangerous appears to be the 5-10% METHYLTRIACETOXYSILANE, which is toxic if ingested, but this is only present in the uncured state. It is the chemical that breaks down and releases acetic acid (vinegar smell) during curing. Don't eat uncured silicone :)

I know MSDS's look scary, but based on the years of user experience and the lack of any chemical on the data sheet that looks to be there only as a fungicide, I am OK with silicone I for my tanks.

#162 ·
#163 ·
Here are some excerpts and notes i found researching from a redesign I did on one of my tanks using the silcone II w bio seal. I had used it a lot before when it didnt have the bioseal label on it.

I understand claims that GE has not changed the recipe since the old tube that had no bio-seal label. The same withthe silicone I. Nothing new, just new labeling.

"brand is of the same quality and is what aquarium manufactures use in sealing there tanks. It is the 'Ethyl Triacetoxysilane as acetic Acid that gives it its adhesion and strength. the GE types (less odor) uses Methoxypolydimethylsiloxane and silicas. these GE caulks do have excellent adhesion but not what aquariums need for long term exposure underwater. and nobody wants a seam leak a few months or a few years down the line."

hazardous--- From the msds sheet
------------------
-------Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) is a commonly used silicon-based organic polymer. Due to its unique mechanical, chemical, and optical properties, it has become integrated into many microfluidic and optical devices.

-------------hexamethyldisilazane with the chemical formula [(CH3)2Si]2NH. The product is used to augment the adhesion of photoresist on silicon and SiO2 surfaces.

----------------Methyl trimethoxysilane --As a crosslinking agent for room temperature cured silicone rubber, coupling agent for glass fiber and SiO2, a strengthening treatment agent for plastic-layer pressing material

Thats both of them in the hazardous area. Neither are fungicide. They are basically ahesive promoters and strengthening agents.

---------------- Heres the big part I dont understand ------------------------------------------

Biocidal polymers active by contact. V. Synthesis of polysiloxanes with biocidal activity
G. Sauvet 1 *, S. Dupond 1, K. Kazmierski 2, J. Chojnowski 2
1Laboratoire de Recherches sur les Macromolecules (U.A. 502), Université Paris-XIII, avenue J.-B. Clement, 93430 Villetaneuse, France
2Centre of Molecular and Macromolecular Studies, Polish Academy of Sciences, Sienkiewicza 112, 90-363 Lódz, Poland

*Correspondence to G. Sauvet, Laboratoire de Recherches sur les Macromolecules (U.A. 502), Université Paris-XIII, avenue J.-B. Clement, 93430 Villetaneuse, France

Funded by:
French-Polish Scientific and Technological cooperation Joint Project; Grant Number: 6508
KBN; Grant Number: 3T09A 03015.

Keywords
functional polysiloxanes; quaternary ammonium salts; macromolecular biocide; antibacterial activity

Abstract
Polysiloxanes with 3-(alkyldimethylammonio)propyl pendant groups were synthesized by quaternization of n-octyldimethylamine or n-dodecyldimethylamine with linear polysiloxanes containing 3-chloropropyl groups and/or 3-bromopropyl groups attached to silicon atoms. The precursor polysiloxanes, poly[(3-chloropropyl)methylsiloxane] homopolymer and various copolymers containing (3-halogenopropyl)methylsiloxane and dimethylsiloxane units, were obtained by equilibrium cationic polymerization of linear and cyclic siloxanes with (3-halogenopropyl)methylsiloxane units. The polysiloxanes bearing quaternary ammonium salts (QAS) showed bactericidal activity against bacteria such as Escherichia coli and Aeromonas hydrophila when incorporated in a polysiloxane network. The activity was retained after 66 days of immersion in water. The QAS-containing polysiloxanes are also active in aqueous solution. © 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Inc. J Appl Polym Sci 75: 1005-1012, 2000

----------------------------

It doesnt say that it is a fungicide, it just says that it inhibits growth. How? The silicone has an additive that makes a strong film on teh surface. Does this keep the surface from getting accumulations by being harder and slicker? I cant find anything that says it has a fungicide or mildew killing agent. I am not a chemist though. And I am not all that smart when it comes to advanced chemical compounds. I have been told that GE has had the same formula since the old school GE Silcicone II adn I didnt have problems with that.

-------BIOSEAL From the GE website --------------

The potential health effects of mold are a growing concern being studied by organizations ranging from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) to the American Industrial Hygiene Association. To combat the growth of unsightly and risky mold, GE has developed BioSeal, a proprietary additive that inhibits mold growth on its sealants. BioSeal prevents mold growth that can lead to unpleasant odors, discoloration, and potential health risks.

According to the CDC, indoor mold can cause or worsen certain illnesses. Allergic reactions, similar to common pollen and irritation are the most common health effects for people with mold sensitivities. Molds may also exacerbate asthma, cause flu-like symptoms and skin rashes. Exposure to mold affects people in different ways. Fortunately, most symptoms are temporary and eliminated by addressing the mold problem. BioSeal gives you the chance to do that by preventing the mold and mildew growth that typically occurs on the sealant.

Mold growth is a considerable concern for both builders and homeowners. Products like GE Silicone II with BioSeal help rid your kitchen, bathroom, or your door and window frames of mold problems before they even have a chance to start.

------------------
It doesnt say that it kills anything. Its like it does this as a secondary purpose to what they were trying tod o to start wtih, and because the surface may have been hard to promote adhesion, after curing it kept mold from sticking because it was so smooth or hard. Not becaue it was a poison. I have researched and so far this is all I have found.

---------Email to Ge------------
Hello,

I understand the Bio-Seal is a mold inhibitor. The labels and info I have found do not say that it "kills" anything, or contains any poisons such as arsenic etc to kill the growth of bacteria and or mold/mildew. I would assume that this is a physical attribute of the silicone, especially the silicone II door and window. I am asking if there are any specific poisons or inhibitors taht "kill" bacteria and or mold/mildew. I read the msds sheet and the chemicals appear to be adhesive promoters and strengtheners, not fungicide and or poisons like arsenic or what have you. I need to know if there are any added poisons or if by its physical nature it inhibits the growth of mold or bacteria. Has it changed its formula since in obtained the bioseal logo from the older version taht did not contain the bio seal logo?

Thanks for your time,

--------------------------------------

Recap: Over all it appears that the silicone II cures with an ammonia base. The Sili I cures with the acetic base. Ammonia is bad in a tank. It must cure fully at least for a couple days, silicone II that is. GE says it sstill the same old stuff it has always been. The MSDS sheet doesnt show any apparent chemical additives (like the bathroom versions do). I dont know if I have any chemists in teh extended family but Im going to check and ask the wife too about that long worded part with all the poly and hexa and whatnot. It appears to me that it says no where "kills" anything. For that matter glass is mold resistant, as would be fish slime. Bleach however is a mold killer. Thats a big difference. My tank is a week old and the fish are alive and well. Some of my crypts are frayed at the edges from being in a bucket for 3 days but for everything being in a bucket for 3 days with no aeration or light its okay. I lost a couple neon tetras, they were already 6 months that I had them. I had put about 6 gallons of water back into the 29 gallon from teh original tank. The filter was also stopped for 3 days (canister HOT 350).

Illw ait and see what the Sil II door and window does but it appears that everything is okay. I used great stuff foam, covered it with silicone, let it cure 24 hours, and them brushed silicone on with coconut coir to texture the silicone. Looks good. There are some dead spaces inteh form of plant shelves, and a place to hide my co2 diffuser.

Surely this stuff applied thick cannot be fully cured in 24 hours and the ammonia leaching as a result of curing will kill your fish, or at least stress them I would imagine. Thats probably why some have had problems with it, but Im not the definitive say so.

#164 ·
Ok I got a simple question about GE silicone.

Somewhere along the line I've been buying GE silicone II instead of GE silicone I.

I think that I have read either work as long as its for windows and doors but that one of the two had a higher bonding rating or something. Now my questions are: can either work?

Also, can either work in SALTWATER application? Anyone have experience with either in salt water application?

#170 ·
i had a tube a tube lying around of silicon. it says 100% silicone. G.E. 1* i dont know what the astric stands for. the tube is white and has blue writing. the silicon is clear though. also on the back it says not to use it in aquariums. its for windows. doors. attic and basement. anyone know what the difference is with the astric?

#173 ·
Hthundar said:
Use aquamend that comes in a squeeze tube. it says aquarium safe right on it. you can get it at any hardware store.
I've never used Aquamend and am not discouraging anyone else from using it...

But I believe the purpose of this thread is to let people know that GE I Silicone Window & Door is safe to use, despite the warning on the label...

bntbrl said:
I posted this on antoher thread but thought Id put it here too. I used Silicone II for a background a couple months ago and all fish and shrimp and plants are doing well. I let it cure for a week or so before doing anything with it.
The 'Bio Seal' in GE II is an ammonia based additive. So it is a gamble as to whether or not our tank's biofiltration will be able to safely handle the ammonia that leaches out of it.

get_up_mark said:
i had a tube a tube lying around of silicon. it says 100% silicone. G.E. 1* i dont know what the astric stands for. the tube is white and has blue writing. the silicon is clear though. also on the back it says not to use it in aquariums. its for windows. doors. attic and basement. anyone know what the difference is with the astric?
GE I Silicone Window & Door is aguarium safe... It does say "not for aquariums" on the label, but it is aquarium safe...

GE I used to say "aquarium safe", but when GE started supplying All Glass with silicone (and All Glass repackages & resold the silicone) part of the contract was that GE would print "not for aquariums" on the label...

Malawi_Junkie said:
Make sure to get the 100% silicone clear ,with out the mold and mildew resistant stuff in it these chems will kill your livestock.
I completely agree that anything that is "mold & mildew resistent" or contains "bio seal" is not safe for aquarium use.

But both GE I Silicone & DAP (non plus series) comes in a small variety of colors and these colors (including black and almond, both of which I've used) are aquarium safe.

#175 ·
I've thoroughly read the Lowe's page you linked for us and I see absolutely no mention o fbeing Mildew Resistant... Can you please state specifically where you see it?

I'ev also reviewed GE's sight and they make absolutely no mention of GE I being Mildew Resistant... But the GE II does...

GE I - http://www.caulkyourhome.com/ge-silicon ... d-door.php

GE II - http://www.caulkyourhome.com/ge-silicon ... d-door.php

*Note - www.gesealants.com which is an official GE site reroutes to the above links... feel free to veryify this...

This thread is full of posts which contain simple mistakes that can be very misleading... please read thoroughly and double check statements made here...

#176 ·
In the description at the bottom, in the blue box.
Wasn't sure of it's actually labeled from GE that way, or Lowes?
Caulk Type: Silicone
Warranty: Lifetime
Use: Indoor/Outdoor
Surface Applied To: Multiple
Dry Color: Clear
Size - Measurement (oz.): 9.8
Product Set Time: 30 minutes
Category: Window and Door
Paintable: No
Mildew Resistant: Yes
Sanded / Unsanded: Unsanded
Color Family: Clear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.