Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Marble Convicts

38K views 58 replies 27 participants last post by  AmishDude 
#1 ·
Does anyone out their know anything about "Marble Convicts" ?

I need to know origin? or how their created? I can't seem to find a whole lot of info online, maybe i'm not searching in the right places.

Their's some who say its a cross between a black and a pink convict. IMO I'm not so sure, I've had multiple spawns with this fish, never any picks, or blacks in the mix.

I would love to hear from the people out their who's breeding them also.

Please help, I need some info

Thanks

OHC.

#52 ·
LJ said:
I just picked up a pink con and noticed this tiny black spot at the base of the caudal fin. Do you think she might have the marble gene, or am I just wishfully thinking?
Very possible

LJ said:
Thanks Ctrl_Alt_Dlt. So do you think that if I breed her with a grey male, and then re-breed her with the spawn, that the fish of the second spawn will have more pronounced marbling?
I think you'd have better chances with a broodmate or another pink with similar faint marble traits.

I'm having a ball breeding for color and marbling, especially females. I'm trying to concentrate on nuchal hump and size for males.
Here's one of my little females:

#54 ·
LJ said:
I'm having a ball breeding for color and marbling, especially females. I'm trying to concentrate on nuchal hump and size for males.
That's pretty cool. How many tanks are you using for a project like that?
2 at the moment, breeders in one tank and grow-outs in the other. I save the best looking and most promising fry and try different pair combos. It's slow going since it's not an all-out fishroom project but it's fun. The adult marbles in my 135 seem to enjoy trying different pairing combinations themselves lol.

#56 ·
So glad i chose to read this thread. This is a interesting topic discussion & honestly had no idea about a lot of this. My original pair 2 years ago were both of "normal coloring" & their first successful spawn developed a few pink ones. I asked & heard it was a genetic thing passed through the female. Since i've had tons of babies obviously since, i'd say the marble coloring started maybe 6 months ago & was wondering what where the black splotches were on some pink ones.

#58 ·
I recently got some A. sp. Cabayo, they are a yellow con. I would be horrified if I passed some on and somebody mixed them with domestic cons. That is solely my opinion though, I think with collection data being so rare on common species like cons, meeki, ect then why should we mix them up?

To not get the thread derailed, if I was you I would seek out some marbled cons and just start there lol. Seems a lot easier even if you are cheating a little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.