Central American Cichlids • Marble Convicts

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Postby Ctrl_Alt_Dlt » Mon May 04, 2009 4:26 pm

LJ--- that is my breeding project right now. I dont know the results, but what you said above is my plan. Whats strange so far is I have two breeding pairs where both males are black and both females are marbled. My first pair gave me 50% black 50% white. My second pair gave me 100% black fry. Overall, I am not too sure what to expect.
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby LJ » Mon May 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Interesting stuff. That's definitely what I had in mind. Keep us updated on the progress.
LJ

Postby TheFishGuy » Tue May 05, 2009 9:45 am

MonteSS wrote:Here is what whas sold to me at a LFS as an "Electric Blue Convict". I thought it was a male that I wanted to breed with my very pretty female black con. Turned out the EB is a female and has a very slight amount of gold on her belly. Never saw a female con with gold on the belly so now im not sure what she is

Gold on the belly is how you tell the difference between the sexes of convicts.
TheFishGuy

Postby MonteSS » Tue May 05, 2009 10:03 am

Having many convicts in the past, I have only seen orange on the females. I heard of the gold but never saw it myself.

I thought the gold may have been a HRP thing.

Thanks for the help....Bill
75g CA- HRP x Con hybrid pair. Female Nicaraguense
46g Male Apistos and Angels
20g Apisto Borelli trio amf Agassizi Tefe orange pait
10g Apisto Trifasciata trio
MonteSS

Postby TheFishGuy » Wed May 06, 2009 7:29 pm

Ok, well, gold.... orange I was thinking they were one in the same LOL

I had some grey cons a while back with the pink gene that had gold on their flanks but it went away after six months or so...

I've been messing with coinvicts, all types for almost 20 years now...
TheFishGuy

Postby Riceburner » Thu May 07, 2009 6:08 am

yeah..I'd call mine orange...
Riceburner

Postby straitjacketstar » Thu May 07, 2009 2:22 pm

LJ wrote:I just picked up a pink con and noticed this tiny black spot at the base of the caudal fin. Do you think she might have the marble gene, or am I just wishfully thinking?

Very possible

LJ wrote:Thanks Ctrl_Alt_Dlt. So do you think that if I breed her with a grey male, and then re-breed her with the spawn, that the fish of the second spawn will have more pronounced marbling?

I think you'd have better chances with a broodmate or another pink with similar faint marble traits.

I'm having a ball breeding for color and marbling, especially females. I'm trying to concentrate on nuchal hump and size for males.
Here's one of my little females:
straitjacketstar

Postby LJ » Fri May 08, 2009 1:22 pm

I'm having a ball breeding for color and marbling, especially females. I'm trying to concentrate on nuchal hump and size for males.

That's pretty cool. How many tanks are you using for a project like that?
LJ

Postby straitjacketstar » Fri May 08, 2009 1:28 pm

LJ wrote:

That's pretty cool. How many tanks are you using for a project like that?

2 at the moment, breeders in one tank and grow-outs in the other. I save the best looking and most promising fry and try different pair combos. It's slow going since it's not an all-out fishroom project but it's fun. The adult marbles in my 135 seem to enjoy trying different pairing combinations themselves lol.
straitjacketstar

Postby TheFishGuy » Sat May 09, 2009 6:42 am

Funny how that happens eh? LOL

Some day I'll get back into the convict project... But for now just about every tank is full....
TheFishGuy

Postby CrypticLifeStyle » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:14 pm

So glad i chose to read this thread. This is a interesting topic discussion & honestly had no idea about a lot of this. My original pair 2 years ago were both of "normal coloring" & their first successful spawn developed a few pink ones. I asked & heard it was a genetic thing passed through the female. Since i've had tons of babies obviously since, i'd say the marble coloring started maybe 6 months ago & was wondering what where the black splotches were on some pink ones.

I suffer from MTS & have a little bit of everything
CrypticLifeStyle

Postby AmishDude » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:47 pm

LOTS of info on the whole pink convict breeding idea.
http://gregthecrazyfishguy.wordpress.co ... ble-genes/
AmishDude

Postby ahud » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:44 pm

I recently got some A. sp. Cabayo, they are a yellow con. I would be horrified if I passed some on and somebody mixed them with domestic cons. That is solely my opinion though, I think with collection data being so rare on common species like cons, meeki, ect then why should we mix them up?

To not get the thread derailed, if I was you I would seek out some marbled cons and just start there lol. Seems a lot easier even if you are cheating a little.
ahud

Postby AmishDude » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:57 am

ahud wrote:
To not get the thread derailed, if I was you I would seek out some marbled cons and just start there lol. Seems a lot easier even if you are cheating a little.

!!!
Just happened across a "not-right convict" from a LFS near my buddies place.
Check her? out! Please tell me its a she, and not a stressed male.....
!!!!
AmishDude

Previous

Return to Central American Cichlids