Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Plywood Tank 250gallon

29K views 77 replies 25 participants last post by  Coln 
#1 ·
Hi started this tank a few weeks ago to make this existing tank bigger but have been
reading TFG, 13lazd and 98dak83cam for a while which kinda made my mind up to
go for this tank.
I'm making a 250gallon plywood tank which will be in the garage but viewed from the
lounge. I'm posting it on a uk forum as well hope thats cool, share everything yeah

[
/url]

See less See more
#27 ·
I3lazd said:
If you mad that minor adjustment it would mean a world of diff. in support and be an easy and cheap fix. Just my 2 cents though.
I for one cent worth don't agree. At least not in the direction an adjustment might take. This tank is not so tall that it really needs any of the 2 by 4 ribbing at all. I've built 42" tall tanks over 500 gallons with out any ribbing, just plywood screwed together and never had any leaking or bowing problems. It looks solid as is, though if the ribbing had continued out to the ends of the walls, it would have looked tighter. A nylon strapping band just in front of the seam over and under the tank would do more than a 4 by 4 to keep the plywood from deflecting, which it probably would not at this water pressure. A 4 by 4 however introduces complications, from whether or not is is safe for interior use, to the tendency of 4 by lumber to twist and bow, taking the plywood with it.

#29 ·
Have built second block wall and taken original down to new level.
Planning to assemble tank in position on friday and fill on sunday.
That will be the moment of truth, will post on sunday pm my time.
Pic of the left side background in progress
How's your tank going?

#30 ·
Mcdaphnia said:
I3lazd said:
If you made that minor adjustment it would mean a world of diff. in support and be an easy and cheap fix. Just my 2 cents though.
I for one cent worth don't agree. At least not in the direction an adjustment might take. This tank is not so tall that it really needs any of the 2 by 4 ribbing at all. I've built 42" tall tanks over 500 gallons with out any ribbing, just plywood screwed together and never had any leaking or bowing problems. It looks solid as is, though if the ribbing had continued out to the ends of the walls, it would have looked tighter. A nylon strapping band just in front of the seam over and under the tank would do more than a 4 by 4 to keep the plywood from deflecting, which it probably would not at this water pressure. A 4 by 4 however introduces complications, from whether or not is is safe for interior use, to the tendency of 4 by lumber to twist and bow, taking the plywood with it.
I stand corrected then. Nice build & nice brick work! Looking good!

#31 ·
Assembled tank in final position today. Def a two man job to align all the bolts, panels etc
Used five tubes silicon and put metal braces on the corners, I take ideas on board and it can only
help. Still on schedule to fill tank on sunday, hard day there's a cold one with my name on it in
the fridge :D

#34 ·
Decided to cut silicon back flush and seal the joints with epoxy. Silicon just does not adhere to
west epoxy at all, the epoxy does it's job but the silicon doesn't
Filling on Sunday again, I didn't like the look with the silicon in the joints prefer the same all the
way round a the tank

#38 ·
:dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

Tank up and running today, lot of hours work to get here but the fish seem to love it
still loads to sort lighting and current stuff but well pleased, cheers Col

#46 ·
sweet project.

You say you sealed the seams with epoxy, could you expand on that for me? Did you just bolt it all together and then brush a couple of coats of epoxy on the seams? Do you think you you can still separate the panels?

I have read 100's of threads on ply tanks and it appears to me that going though the trouble to make the separate panels rarely works out. I know it is much easier, and cheaper, to make a strong water proof box if it can just be fiber and resined together as a unit with no thought to being able to disassemble it. A well build fiber reinforced resin on ply box really needs very little, if any, bracing as long as it is not overly tall.

So what are your thoughts now that you have built one?

#47 ·
As the silicon wouldn't adhere to the epoxy cut silicon flush and put on matting in all the internal
corners and added coats of epoxy until it was all smooth.
If I had to take tank apart would have to cut all the corners, that would be a thought.
I fitted metal braces at the top holding the panels together and when it was full of water
there was pressure on them so think it better with some bracing.
Would build another but not for a while.....

#48 ·
Latest photos of tank, have added more rocks and algae is slowly starting on them which I want
as the fish can graze on it. The volume of the tank is actually 300 gallon and have insulated the tank with quality 70mm foam. Still getting air in the eheim filter but everything else is good

#51 ·
Love this build. Very nice job! Fish look healthy and happy. Cheers! :dancing: :thumb: :wink: :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.