DIY - Projects & Ideas • Underground jet system project underway

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Underground jet system project underway

Postby LowCel » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:30 pm

I just started my underground jet system a few minutes ago so I thought I would post my progress. This is the first one I have ever done so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I have asked fmueller quite a few questions and have spent way too much time on his website. Hopefully everything will work out.

The first thing I did was cut some pieces of 3/4" pvc about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" long to use as the jets. After they were cut I boiled them for about five minutes.

Once they had been boiling for about five minutes I took them out one at a time. I placed one end in a union to keep it from mis-shaping then I smashed the other end with a pair of channel locks.

Once I finished them I started working in the tank. I used 1" pvc out of the overflow and down to the bottom of the tank. There I reduced the pipe down to 3/4" and started laying out the system.

So far I have done the right half of the tank.

LowCel

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby cevvin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:47 pm

How big is this tank... general rule is 100 gph through each nozzle, your going to push 2600 gph through these?

But... very curious as how it turns out, are you planning on dying?
cevvin

Postby LowCel » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:17 pm

I have it pretty close then, I have 25 nozels and my return pump should do between 2,000 and 2,500 gph after accounting for the head height. I am using a reeflo dart as the return pump.

The tank is 300 gallons.

I am planning on dying the pipes going up the back but I am going to leave the ones on the bottom white. It will be less obvious than black with the natural looking sand. I may epoxy some sand on them though.

Here are some pictures after I did the other side.

LowCel

Postby navycigarsmoker » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:09 pm

What are you using to power the UGJ. I see that you have the pipe on the left side going up and I have seen that on a few tanks but I am not sure what everybody is using to push the water.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
navycigarsmoker

Postby CHBGator » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:40 pm

cevvin wrote:How big is this tank... general rule is 100 gph through each nozzle, your going to push 2600 gph through these?

But... very curious as how it turns out, are you planning on dying?

Just curious but when did that rule come about?
CHBGator

Postby gmaschke » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:55 pm

I don't know but I count 22 divide that byt 2600 and even if that were the general rule this should be generally close enough to it. :lol:
gmaschke

Postby gmaschke » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:56 pm

By the way I saw this post earlier and made no comment but as I did a w/c on my 135g and vac. up all the crud I kept thinking about your thread, I may have to copy it some day. Can't wait to see it work :thumb:
gmaschke

Postby LowCel » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:40 pm

gmaschke wrote:I don't know but I count 22 divide that byt 2600 and even if that were the general rule this should be generally close enough to it. :lol:

I'm pretty sure there were 24 or 25 but I could be wrong. If I get really bored later I might try to count them. :)

First I have to fix some leaks though. :(
LowCel

Postby LowCel » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:41 pm

navycigarsmoker wrote:What are you using to power the UGJ. I see that you have the pipe on the left side going up and I have seen that on a few tanks but I am not sure what everybody is using to push the water.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I am using a reeflo dart pump for the return pump.
LowCel

Postby navycigarsmoker » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:35 pm

I'm kind of stupid when it comes to things like that could you explain how it works and if I could use the return on my xp3 to do the same thing
navycigarsmoker

Postby cevvin » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:29 pm

LowCel wrote:
gmaschke wrote:I don't know but I count 22 divide that byt 2600 and even if that were the general rule this should be generally close enough to it. :lol:

I'm pretty sure there were 24 or 25 but I could be wrong. If I get really bored later I might try to count them. :)

First I have to fix some leaks though. :(

Thought I counted 26. I was told (and read several threads) that the general rule was 100gph per nozzle.
cevvin

Postby boredatwork » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:28 pm

I am surprised no one has said anything about the nozzles. They are too crimped off. You will get hardly any flow out of those. I would do it again and leave a bigger opening. You are not looking to squash them shut. Think of it as trying to convert the circle shaped PVC into an oval shape.

100GPH is the number that is thrown around on this forum with all of the thousands of other intangible rules of thumb.

I would have also recommended dyeing all of the pipe black. I think you will regret not dyeing all of it. I did the same thing by leaving the jets white because I had a light colored sand. But I ended up dyeing them black and it looked a lot better. When you leave them white they stick out like a sore thumb. It ends up looking like PVC pipe sticking out of your sand. Likewise for when any of the buried PVC gets uncovered.

Also, why did you use 3/4" pipe instead of 1/2"? That outer diameter of 3/4" PVC pipe is pretty substantial. You will need to use a pretty thick sand bed to cover it - which in my experience is not a desirable thing.
boredatwork

Postby KaiserSousay » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:39 am

:-? Well :-?
Hows it going?
-----John-----
Conlige suspectos semper habitos
All Malawi,All Mbuna, All Action, All the Time
"A government of the people, by the people and for the people"
KaiserSousay

Postby ridley25 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:28 am

I love these step-by-step picture-based threads.

As someone who is "on the fence" about UGJ on my next tank, I too am curious to know how things are going...

kevin
Malawi 125g: Labeotropheus fuelleborni, Labidochromis sp. "Hongi SRT," Metriaclima sp. "Msobo," Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei," Pseudotropheus sp. "Williamsi North," Syndodontis njassae
Tanganyika 15g: 'Lamprologus' multifasciatus species tank
ridley25

Postby LowCel » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:35 pm

The system seems to work very well. I ended up painting it all the same color as the sand, looks much better than it would have if I had done it black. I'll try to do one in an oval and see if it increased the flow very much. If so then I can replace them pretty easily since I didn't glue them. I'm looking forward to trying it out, more flow is always a good thing. :)

Here are a couple of pictures of them now.

Ignore the one piece of pvc that is laying on top of the sand.
LowCel

Next

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas