Central American Cichlids • HRP aggression

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

HRP aggression

Postby klumsyninja » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:43 am

Are HRP's any less aggressive than regular convicts?

At which size do they usually start to show this aggression?
klumsyninja

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby klumsyninja » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:10 pm

okay so I googled it and it seems that they aren't actually convicts.. I thought they were.
klumsyninja

Postby Hrafen » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:33 pm

But like any of the genus HRP's can be aggressive. They tend to be a little smaller than most, aggression levels seem to be on par with Sajica, so normally less than that associated with Convicts.
Hrafen

Postby Nathan43 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:09 pm

Mine were harmless except for spawning, they are equal to convicts when spawning.
I like snowcones & cartwheels...AND BLOOD!
Nathan43

Postby klumsyninja » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:41 pm

So would you say they breed as prolificly as Convicts?
klumsyninja

Postby LittleFrog » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:33 pm

Mine bred like rabbits, lol. Every six weeks, like clockwork!
75 Gallon: Red Devil
40 gallon: 1 pair Amatitlania Nigrofasciatus "Rio Choluteca", Swordtails
LittleFrog

Postby MonteSS » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:49 am

My Leucistic HRP is very aggressive and a PITA.

....Bill
75g CA- HRP x Con hybrid pair. Female Nicaraguense
46g Male Apistos and Angels
20g Apisto Borelli trio amf Agassizi Tefe orange pait
10g Apisto Trifasciata trio
MonteSS

Postby con-man-dan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:13 pm

My Rio Monga HRP's are 6 week clockwork spawners too! I had 3 pairs until recently, 2 pairs of f2 and a pair of F1's...but I lost my F1 male to old age. Spawns didn't seem to be as big as cons IME, but still pretty good sized. Rather docile fish until its breeding time...then watch out.

And correct, they are not Cryptoheros nigrofasciatus (convicts) but a yet to be described species. Suprised they haven't been given a classification yet seeing as there are the new ones like kanna and siquia that are very recent arrivals...but HRP's have been in the hobby for 10+ years now.
con-man-dan

Central American Cichlids

Postby Tendulkar » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:36 am

Information and photos on cichlid keeping and breeding. All about African
cichlids, and New World ... Central America · South America · Cichlid Keeping
Tendulkar

Postby dwarfpike » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:43 am

Actually, Amatitlania siquia has been in the hobby a long time now, but until now was believed to be Amatitlania nigrofasciatus. I would wager a decent amount of florida fish farm 'convicts' are a mix of the two species.
dwarfpike

Postby bernie comeau » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:33 pm

Well, the Schmitter-soto re-classification of convicts into 4 species with in there own genus (Amatitlania) and JD into 3 species, also with it's own genus (Rocio) is not widely accepted, yet-----questionable wether it will stand the test of time, anyways.

But if you do accept the Schmitter-soto reclassification, no reason to assume that aquarium strain convicts are A. nigrofasciatus as aposed to being A. siquia.Either could be just as likely. Obviously they are less likely A. coatepeque since they could only come from 1 lake, lake coatepeque, though that is not impossible either. They could also be A. kana or a mix of 2, 3 or even 4 of the newly described species. Same with JD -----can't assume that they are Rocio octafasciatum as aposed to the other 2 Rocio species, or a mix between any 3 of them (?). None of these newely described species are easily distinguishable, especially under aquarium conditions.

HRP is currently an undescribed species (Amatitlania sp. "HRP") but I would really question wether they shouldn't be seen as merely one of numerous strains of convict cichlid.Every stream, river , lagoon or lake has a somewhat different strain of convict. If convicts are going to be sperated into 4-5 or more species based on the tiniest of differences, why stop there? Why not seperate every differnt strain and have 500+ species of convicts? :lol:

Can't see how convicts should be placed into a seperate genus (Amatitlaia) as they are so similar to other Archoecntrus or Cryptoheros species.( ??)
bernie comeau

Postby con-man-dan » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:50 pm

bernie, the reason I read last night on the seperation, has to do with cons in a far north, and far south location, with no con species in between, so there for they cannot be from the same species. from what I hear, someone is going to give a lecture on this at ACA breaking down the work he has done with this species of fish and why they are being classified the way they are. he is also doing dna work so it can be done and over with, and we can know whats just a geographical variation, and whats a different species. everyone here assumes just cause they look the same they must all be convicts, but look at lake malawi and how many blue fish with black stripes there are that all look so very similar but are different species and genus.
con-man-dan

Return to Central American Cichlids