Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Just purchased a Emperor 400 any advise?

6K views 54 replies 26 participants last post by  SMoKe0uT 
#1 ·
I would like to be able to get more mechanical filtration. Any one recommend a way to add water polishing?

#3 ·
In my E.400 I use the scotch-brite scour pads in the front. ( make sure your pH is above 7.0 at all times if you go this route)

I use a course bonded floss that is blue on one side and white on the other. I believe it is designed for marineland canister filters but it performs excellent in this application as well.

Then a finer white floss that is pretty much throw away or disposable if you don't want to clean it.

#7 ·
A canister filter... ANY canister filter, has about a 100% better chance of leaking and causing water damage than an Emperor 400. There is virtually NO way for it to leak. I have experiences one minor issue in years of using them, and that was a spray bar issue (and was my fault after not installing it correctly after taking it out to clean it).

I use both of them, so this is unbiased. Both have their advantages and there is certainly a much wider array of options for canisters (and they are better for mechanical filtration) - but if you want to talk "risk of water damage" or failure leave the Emperor 400 out of the discussion, there's pretty much no risk at all with them. Canisters have o-rings, seals, hoses, etc.

#8 ·
i have to agree i have dual emperor 400s on my 75G and they work marvelously

#9 ·
Jalo Reefa' said:
A canister filter... ANY canister filter, has about a 100% better chance of leaking and causing water damage than an Emperor 400. There is virtually NO way for it to leak. I have experiences one minor issue in years of using them, and that was a spray bar issue (and was my fault after not installing it correctly after taking it out to clean it).

I use both of them, so this is unbiased. Both have their advantages and there is certainly a much wider array of options for canisters (and they are better for mechanical filtration) - but if you want to talk "risk of water damage" or failure leave the Emperor 400 out of the discussion, there's pretty much no risk at all with them. Canisters have o-rings, seals, hoses, etc.
I have Emperor 280s running on different tanks, and I'm pretty happy with them. But the one in my 29g South American tank has a nasty habit of splashing the water around as it comes out of the intake into the reservoir. This gentle splashing eventually leads to a steady drip that escapes over the top of the back corner. This drip, drip, drip lead to about 5 litres of water on my office floor one night before I came into work. Not bad, but not fun.
I've cleaned and reassembled the intake shaft and impeller many times. The only thing that works is a little DIY cover in the back corner and weekly filter pad washings/changings. I don't love maintaining my filter on a weekly basis, so this particular Emperor is being swaped out with a canister.

I'm sure my issue is pretty rare, but I think it's safe to say that anything that carries water can leak. After all, it wasn't Intelligent Design that created the Grand Canyon; it was water.

#11 ·
Jalo Reefa' said:
thats not a problem with a filter design, thats a problem with a faulty unit.
Filter design/faulty unit: either way it's water on the floor, right?

And as for polishing, I agree with the many posts above; fill the empty gray media holder with floss. I don't even use the "Rite Fit" filters, since I have no need for carbon or a fancy blue colour.

#12 ·
maybe your filter doesn't work properly because you're "customizing it" and possibly using things its not designed to be used for??? Just a thought.

I don't use the cartridges either - but Dr. Fosters and Smith sells a product called Bio3 that is specifically made to fit the Emperors.

#13 ·
Trying not to hijack the thread here, but I 'customized' because of the leak. The leak came first.

Not trying to pick a fight about Emperors here, I think they're pretty good since I bought two. I simply wanted to provide a very real world example of one that leaked.

#14 ·
- read and interesting post on another site - on the 400 (I have two) - will credit the author assuming i can find it again...houstonfishbox.com (i think)

The design of the 400 diverts 50% of the water to turn the bio wheels and the other 50% gets filtered - the author removed the spray bar and added two small pieces of pvc with a joint to divert the balance of the water behind the filter pad. they added a small hole in the joint to put one stream of water on to the bio wheel to turn the wheel...effectively the mod filters 95% of the water moving through the intake

pretty ingenous I thought, but haven't tried it...combine that with the diy wet/dry mod on this site, the pad mentioned above and you can create a much more powerful tool

#16 ·
I purchased a 2nd Emperor 400 today! :D

#19 ·
Are any of you guys using both slots (primary then secondary) with something other than the "RITE SIZE E" pads? and if so how are you filling the gray media tray with MECHANICAL filter media? I find the slots get in the way...

#20 ·
I just cut filter pads/floss in strips and put them in the gray media tray. I rinse them after a few weeks and replace the floss a few weeks after the rinse.

#26 ·
E400's still running strong! Sometimes they can get a little loud but a quick impeller cleaning seems to the trick. Anybody else experience this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.