Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Post Cynotilapia Pictures!

78K views 249 replies 72 participants last post by  promoe 
#1 ·
I wanted to create a post for Cynotilapia pictures... Please post any you have of your Cynos!

#29 ·
nick a, I was wondering what you feed your cynos? Your colors are magnificent. My Lions are fairly brown instead of yellow. This could be due to them being young still, but thinking it might be the food.

#31 ·
here is my reason for becoming a cyno nut! :D :D i love these little guys. this is my only male cobue and i have 4 females for him. i am also growing out some hai reef fry right now, and also polits.my plan is to have my 75 be a polit/cobue only tank and the hai reef breeding group in my 30 gallon.

this pic is about 20 mins after i added him to the tank...

#37 ·
why_spyder,

I am feeding Dianichi food, but recently was told that the Color FX may be making the yellows more brown because of the krill. I am switching to Color Supreme, but wondering if this is the reason my two Lions (Lion's Cove and Mara Rocks) seem not as bright of a yellow as some of the others I see here... Anyone have experience or knowledge about this issue?

#39 ·
CichlidWhisperer, I'm not sure if the food is the deal? I feed all my fish a bulk flake food I get from some local suppliers and a combination of pellets --including Dainichi color fx/color supreme/primary krill/NLS/ some Hikari /etc...

I put all the pellets in a largish tupperware dealie all mixed together--so it's random but varied what each fish gets every day :thumb:

Did you ever get to see the parents of the fish you got? If you're sure they're from good stock, then I'd definitely vary up the diet and try to resort the populations to see if pecking order position is playing a role in the coloration?

Pecking (intra/inter species) order can have a huge impact on how these guys show. The male in the box used to display brilliant yellows/blues while the one outside was plain & drab--Within 1/2 hour the patterns were entirely reversed.

#40 ·
nick a,

I think you hit it on the head when you said it might be due to pecking order. I have an all male mbuna tank, so there is always going to be issues regarding that. In general I have been pretty lucky with most fish displaying great colors. These two fish are definitely low in the pecking order. The Mara Rocks was the smallest in the tank until I added 4 from my grow out tank of which the smallest was the Lion's Cove... so it is quite possible this is the issue. I used to use a much more mixed diet as you do (although not quite the same mix) and I think I will go back to this in any case. As for the stock, I did not actually see the parents as I got them through the mail, but I got them from the most reputable dealer in the US (IMO) and so trust that they are from good stock. Thanks for your thoughts, they have been very helpful and reassuring.

#43 ·
The genus really has some HOT fish in it. Small size + big personality=great fish :thumb:
With the types that were added to the Cyno family in Ad's 4th ed., there's something for everyone.

bac3492, besides having really nice looking males the afra Likoma females are reasonably attractive and different enough looking to make that variant worth keeping.

Moonlight, the NBs are one of the hardest for me to get good shots of. Here's the best from my attempts this weekend :roll:

Another shot of everybodys favorite afra--cobwe!

#44 ·
Awesome fish everyone. Well guess i'll post mine now.

They are Afra Cobue, not sure on sex so maybe I could get some help there. Was hoping to have some more colors from them. Maybe still to young? Over an 1.5 but under 2 inches. I think the dark one is male and hoping other two are female.

Thinking these are both female?? Funny the front one will get some color and then get very drab.

Dark one Male??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.