Cichlid Fish Forum banner

G.E. Silicone 1

412K views 257 replies 150 participants last post by  SirD 
#1 ·
G
#129 ·
I keep hearing the there is a black GE Silicone I for sale out there. I've been to Lowes and Home Depot and a small local hardware store and all they carried was the white and clear. Was the black discontinued or is it just not available near me?

~Ed

#130 ·
Marduk said:
I keep hearing the there is a black GE Silicone I for sale out there. I've been to Lowes and Home Depot and a small local hardware store and all they carried was the white and clear. Was the black discontinued or is it just not available near me?

~Ed
The stock number for the black GE Silicone I is GE312A. You can look at the GE website for it here. If you do a google search for "GE Silicone GE312A" there are a lot of places that you can order it from online. On my search the first one on the page was Ace Hardware the link to the silicone is here. It seems you can only buy it in quantities of 12 everywhere I found it online though.

Hope that helps.

EDIT:

I found this place that allows you to purchase 2 tubes instead of 12.

G
#133 ·
redzebra24 said:
I just got a tube of GE I silcone in clear last night. Window and Door. It says not for you in aquariums. So this stuff isnt safe anymore?
People here still use it and apparently it only says that because of past lawsuits likely because of leaking issues...

I'm pretty sure it is safe. If you read the beginning of this topic and the other two topics it links to there are tons of people who say they have used it without any problems at all..

#134 ·
Just make sure it doesn't say "bioseal" which is mildew killer. I did have a bad experience using GE Silicone on #2 tank after having no problems with tank #1 a year earlier.

After tearing down tank#2 to remove the GE Silicone with bioseal (all fish died), I used All-Glass Aquarium Silicone instead (which comes in black) and all was fine.

#135 ·
Zane
hi zane,

i am in the process of resealing my 55. i am going to use black and have begun the process of removing old silicone. This I understand and even though it is my first time I feel ok about doing it. I am following instructions on website step by step. Now you say I should completly dismantle the tank if I am going to use black. How much more difficult does this make the job. any step by step instructions of this around.

thanks..........rick

#136 ·
this's really good sticky .....now i know what i need .its time to take out the old silicon and apply the new one in for my 90gallon.....question: how long is y'all re-seal tank last?? :D just wondering .before i do my ..or just get a new 90gallon
thanks
CK

#137 ·
cichlids _killer said:
this's really good sticky .....now i know what i need .its time to take out the old silicon and apply the new one in for my 90gallon.....question: how long is y'all re-seal tank last?? :D just wondering .before i do my ..or just get a new 90gallon
thanks
CK
Supposedly silicone can last for 50 years. If you do a good job resealing it should last you a long time. But things do happen and the seals can get damaged and start leaking.

I say reseal your 90 because you really won't be out any money. A 10oz tube of GE silicone I windows and doors which is enough to reseal a 90g costs less than $4. Compare that to the cost of a new 90 gallon.

#138 ·
IrkedCitizen said:
cichlids _killer said:
thanks
CK
Supposedly silicone can last for 50 years. If you do a good job resealing it should last you a long time. But things do happen and the seals can get damaged and start leaking.

I say reseal your 90 because you really won't be out any money. A 10oz tube of GE silicone I windows and doors which is enough to reseal a 90g costs less than $4. Compare that to the cost of a new 90 gallon.
thanks you for the quick responed

#139 ·
No problem.

Good luck with your reseal. Let us know if you have any troubles.

You have to remove ALL of the old silicone with a razor blade except for the silicone between the glass pieces. It must be stressed that you get all of the old silicone off. Once you have then you clean the surface where the new silicone will be with rubbing alcohol and then you apply the new silicone to all of the edges and allow it to cure for 48 hours just to be safe.

Then fill it up and see if she holds!

#140 ·
IrkedCitizen said:
No problem.

Good luck with your reseal. Let us know if you have any troubles.

You have to remove ALL of the old silicone with a razor blade except for the silicone between the glass pieces. It must be stressed that you get all of the old silicone off. Once you have then you clean the surface where the new silicone will be with rubbing alcohol and then you apply the new silicone to all of the edges and allow it to cure for 48 hours just to be safe.

Then fill it up and see if she holds!
just curious ....its only leaking on the side ( not the bottom ) but all the old silicon it seen to link together....should i use the razor and cut off the silicon right at the bottom and rip off the side or just rip off whatever come till its come off the apply the new silicon
thanks
CK

#141 ·
New silicone will not adhere to old silicone so you must remove all of the silicone and apply fresh/new silicone to all of the seams. If you try and just reseal the one leaky seam then it can leak at the spot where the old silicone is touching the new silicone. You do not need to remove the silicone from between the glass panes just the main beads.

#142 ·
IrkedCitizen said:
New silicone will not adhere to old silicone so you must remove all of the silicone and apply fresh/new silicone to all of the seams. If you try and just reseal the one leaky seam then it can leak at the spot where the old silicone is touching the new silicone. You do not need to remove the silicone from between the glass panes just the main beads.
again thank you ..will let you guys know how it turn out
CK

#144 ·
Thanks for all this information. I resealed my 90 gallon using the instructions found here. I used the GE silicone 1. I only waited just over 24 hours for the dry time and the tank is holding fine!!! I am more than happy after going through all the hassles with the leak! Thanks again for this very informative sticky!

#146 ·
I found a GE Silicone\Acrylic tube at a good price (dollar a tube). I read the back and didn't see any warnings about not intended for aquarium use, and there was not mildew resistent printed anywhere. I was wondering if this would work?.... I think if it has acrylic mixed with it, after it cures it might crack... What do you think.

#147 ·
Well the GE silicone 1 windows and doors is only like $3.25 a tube from lowes or home depot. A tube can do a pretty large tank. I would just stick to the tried and true but that's just me.

If you want to try it and find out how it cures for future reference for everyone then go for it. If I were to do it I would test it on a piece of scrap glass before doing it on my tank. Let it cure and see what it looks like when cured. It'll be much easier to remove from a scrap piece than the seams of your tank if it doesn't cure right.

#148 ·
Agnag said:
I found a GE Silicone\Acrylic tube at a good price (dollar a tube). I read the back and didn't see any warnings about not intended for aquarium use, and there was not mildew resistent printed anywhere. I was wondering if this would work?.... I think if it has acrylic mixed with it, after it cures it might crack... What do you think.
I think it is window caulk. Caulk is not adhesive like silicone rubber, so unless you are lucky, it probably won't work. It would be great at that price to practice with it before assembing a tank for real. Get some cardboard boxes and practise laying in a smooth bead inside the box.

#151 ·
so just to be sure. i bought a tube of ge silicone 1 100% silicone rubber sealant. and you all say it is safe for a tank. i called the phone number on the back of the tube and asked them if it was safe. they said no that both silicone 1 and 2 both have anti-fungal chemicals that leach out and will harm aquatic life. i know there is lots of people that say it works, but is there anyone that has had problems with it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.