Central American Cichlids • Today in the Fishroom~08/18/08

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Today in the Fishroom~08/18/08

Postby Aquamojo » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:40 am

A few shots of the Media Luna Yellow Labridens:

Front of the male...Metyinsis in the background...

...and a beautiful backside.

Female Blue Labridens from Taninul

I put the female Green Umbee in a divided 75 gallon until she calms down. After spending three years in the pond the fish that come out tend to have a "hey, I'm in someone's aquarium" moment and take a week or so to adapt to their new environment. I'm going to keep her here until I can get some decent photos...then put her back.

She is right against the back of the tank.

Male Fredrichsthali from Cenote Escondido...nice choppers for a four inch fish.

I took out the "third wheel" female and now have the two in the 100 gallon by themselves. Still a lot of fishy "grab ass" but no breeding.

The male

I haven't had any luck with the Micro's breeding. The other day I pulled out the "spare" micro from the pond and put it in the left half of the 180 gallon tank with a complete divider. This fish and the smaller female were the same size when I put one in the tank and the other in the pond. This fish is now literally twice the size of the female i have in the tank. Big water makes big fish.

When I put the fish in the pond a few years back I thought it was a female. Not so sure now. Regardless, the presence of the fish in the tank might "motivate" the known male to actually breed. Certainly the other fish has been willing for a long time. I hardly ever see her out of breeding coloration. Him?....eh...nothing. All else fails i will switch postions and put the smaller micro in the middle between the other two and let her pick. Here's the male"\:

Final shot of one of my favorite fish.

"Somedays you have a hobby. other days the hobby has YOU."
Aquamojo

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby lostnight » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:23 am

I see you are from Pennnsylvania. Is your pond an indoor pond? Nice pics and fish as usual.
lostnight

Postby chapman76 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:23 am

What is the last one? It looks really nice.
chapman76

Postby Aquamojo » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:44 am

lostnight wrote:I see you are from Pennnsylvania. Is your pond an indoor pond? Nice pics and fish as usual.

Yes. Near Scranton. It's an indoor pond in my basement.

The last fish is Paratheraps zonatus.

Thanks.
"Somedays you have a hobby. other days the hobby has YOU."
Aquamojo

Return to Central American Cichlids