Cichlid Fish Forum banner

yellow tailed and barred convict

9K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  PirateCrash 
#1 ·
are they common?? instead of black barred i have 2 yellow barred convicts got them for free when i got 1 female black barred con

#28 ·
stuckinthemiddle said:
I've never seen those Nano cons either, but Im new in the hobby and to this site. Where can I get a nano con? Or even a yellow one???
I wouldn't recomend cryptoheros nanoluteus to begginers, this is not a very forgiving member of such a hardy species. I for one have never had luck out of 3 seperate pairs, and consider myself to be far from a noob lol no expert by any means. Every other species of crypto I have kept, has been with great success, except this one. There are many other crypto's however, that are very interesting and beautiful but have an easier learning curve.

As to the OP, those are regular convicts. The bars can change with mood. Its possible they're xanthic, but I've had regular cons wash out to this yellow before, and have the colors change quickly back to solid black. If they're truly xanthic, you won't know until they're breeding and the black doesnt appear.

#30 ·
I've never seen any convicts that looked like that. That's not to say they are rare or anything, but this is the first I have seen of a yellow barred convict.

Personally, I think that fish is very sweet and if I saw one I would start a 20L just to keep it! Haha

#36 ·
MalawiLover said:
Look Leucistic. Same sort of thing as the Xanthic Jags. The one gene for the dark color is absent or not working quite right so that color get replaced with a yellow. AT least in Leopard geckos, it uped their price. The more yellow the more it was worth.
Not quite the same thing and not leucistic.
The same sort of thing as xanthic jags in cons would be xanthic cons (aka pink cons).
Gold jags are different than xanthic jags and result in a high yellow coloration more along the lines of what you're seeing in the con but I've seen cons with the same coloration and it seems more mood based than genetics.

#37 ·
My cons went from pale grey to almost solid black depending on mood and spawned 25% pink fry! What a great surprise that was, I love genetics :D Maybe those cons had some nano ancestry down the line? I know they will breed with pretty much any other CA out there, Homicidal AND Sex Addicts...guess thats why they call em Convicts :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.