Lake Tanganyika Species • pics of my painted tank and frontosa

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

Postby Fishbguy » Thu May 08, 2008 6:14 pm

looks amazing!

what's with the goldfish?? :o
Fishbguy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby cichlidgirl1 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:31 pm

Thanks.

Its embarrassing but the goldfish is a eating machine , loves left over food and even ....POO !! Contrary to popular belief goldfish are also more than able to adjust to temps 76-80 degrees as well. I borrowed a couple from my daughter to use as clean up fish. working great by the way. LOL VORACIOUS EATERS. Tank is spotless. You just have to be careful to get a clean healthy specimen to use.
cichlidgirl1

LOOKING VERY NICE

Postby blazen808 » Sat May 10, 2008 1:21 pm

love the look it looks very profesional
blazen808

background

Postby MNcichlid » Wed May 14, 2008 3:38 pm

I really like the look of your tank. Can you elaborate on what paint you used, and how you applied it?
Thanks!
MNcichlid

Postby cichlidgirl1 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:51 pm

Thank you. No problem. I used rustoleum "american accents" flat black latex (one quart) and one quart of valspar interior/exterior satin accentfinish "twilight purple" (its a purple black custom color i found at lowes, it has a magenta base) I just took the color square to the guy behind the counter and he mixed it right up.

It was very simple. I poured the flat black and twilight purple 50/50 into the roller pan, then i added a bit more purple till i got the look i wanted (just a nice dark blue/black or purple/black shade.) I used a regular roller for smooth walls to apply it to the glass (they rollers will say for smooth etc. ) I would roller the whole thing on (used a cheap broom that i unscrewed the head off it to use for a extention, it screwed right in to the roller handle) I put a fan on high to blow accross it (placed it on a tv tray to raise it up) . Every hour i would paint another coat onto it. I used 3 coats. The two quarts gave me enough paint to paint the 7 foot and also my 6 foot tank in the other room. I did not use as much twilight purple on the six foot tank and its back ground is flat black to the eye.

The tank has a great blue tint to it at night when i put my lights on, i have a double light strip with regular 25 w daylight bulbs in the front and marine glow bulbs in the back. It has a blacker look (but with a hint of blue in natural light with tank lights off. Tank lights on and its nice and blue looking day or night. When i went with two marine glow lights its super dark blue ! The pics you have seen here are one of each bulb in the strip.

The jet black sand also helps with the color of the tank as well. The painted background and black sand seem to go hand in hand.

Two quick things i would note from my experience when you paint the tank:

Tape up a tarp or plastic sheet on the wall behind the tank LOL

Hang your filters up on the front of the tank to run after you paint the back, that way the paint can harden for 24-48 hours before you try to set the filter back in place lol.

I believe they make a hard clear coat you can paint onto the latex after you paint the glass, i did not do this, might wish i had when i have to move the hob filters the first time.
cichlidgirl1

Postby Razzo » Wed May 14, 2008 6:15 pm

cichlidgirl1 wrote:Here is my sand in the tank with new painted background. Money well spent. Turned out good. I can not get over how blue they look compared to before. its amazing the change . They are very relaxed in this tank as well.

This pic shows the difference in coloration between the burundi and mpimbwe. both are just 1 inch juvies.

I can't believe I missed this thread :o You did a great job CG :thumb: Love the dark background and the black sand. It really makes their colors POP. They are showing great color. Yout tank is enjoyable to look at!

Russ
Razzo

Postby cichlidgirl1 » Wed May 14, 2008 7:18 pm

Wow, thanks. Im suprised you missed it too, was so happy with it when it was done i went and posted a bunch of pics all over the place lol. The only thing bad about the tank is it is located in a room that gets both morning and afternoon sun so i cant really take too many pics during the day cause of the reflection on the glass. Other than that it is perfect. I just absolutely love this tank.
cichlidgirl1

Postby MNcichlid » Wed May 14, 2008 11:34 pm

I have black substrate like yours and a black background (I flipped it around since the picture) I have grown sick of the glare from the plastic and the bubbles. I am hoping to paint it tomorrow. I like the effect of the painted background.

[img]P4171229.JPG[/img]
MNcichlid

Postby cichlidgirl1 » Fri May 16, 2008 4:26 pm

i responded to my own post LOL. I was not paying attention and responded to what i thought was someone elses comment , then noticed it was my own on the first page LOL. So never mind LOL :oops:
cichlidgirl1

Postby DAI_BALL_MUI » Sun May 18, 2008 6:11 pm

Nice tank, C.C. love the black on black set up. I notice you still have the gold fish in there.

how is that working out?
DAI_BALL_MUI

Postby cichlidgirl1 » Sun May 18, 2008 8:23 pm

Thanks, its working out very well actually. The sand is kept spotless at all times. I have no poo to vacume and any uneaten food is quickly devoured by them. My only concern so far is that my daughters goldfish were the fancy long finned type and later when the fronts get bigger i might have to swap them for the regular kind or maybe a single koi so they can be faster moving etc.. although so far they are just fine.
cichlidgirl1

Postby KoenEeckhoudt » Mon May 19, 2008 3:53 pm

oh my. :)

sorry girl ;) didn't see your nick to be honest... well, didn't pay attention to it. :)

they are turning out very nice indeed... You made me consider painting the back of my tanks as well... :x
KoenEeckhoudt

Postby cichlidgirl1 » Mon May 19, 2008 6:06 pm

I am very happy with the painted tanks and wish i had done it sooner. Dont forget the drop cloth on the wall behind the tank though, i made quite a mess LOL.
cichlidgirl1

Postby cerissa » Tue May 20, 2008 1:47 pm

Oh...loving this one!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!! Great ideas! Wow!
cerissa

Postby cichlidgirl1 » Wed May 21, 2008 9:38 am

Thanks. I love the tank. All is well with fish and tank.
cichlidgirl1

Previous

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species