Cichlid Fish Forum banner

firemouth, 20g H

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  mrbeadheadful 
#1 ·
I have a small (about 2") firemouth and 2 baby platies in a 20g high tank. It has sand substrate, some rocks, caves and driftwood, and a few nice plants. The filter is a HOB rated for a 70g. (Yeah, I'm a big believer in over-filtering all of my tanks!) I have the platies in bc it seems to make him feel a little more comfortable.
What I am wondering is if I can add anything else, particularly a kribensis and/or a small group of tiger or rosy barbs? I can remove the platies if I need to, but would like to replace them with something to give a little more movement.
Thanks for the help!

#4 ·
I figure I may need to upgrade to a 29g after a while, I just don't want to try to add in another cichlid then and have all-out war. I figure it'd be best if they grow up together, if that's possible.
I also thought about a jewel cichlid, since it stays rather small like the firemouth, too.
What do you think?

#11 ·
jdgambler111 said:
mabey even tinfoil barbs.
I can agree with you on the compatibility issues for the most part, but I want to also point out that these get much, much too big for a 3ft. tank. The OP might get away with keeping them in a 4-footer, but I wouldn't do it in anything less than a 75 gal., minimum...and that's if he even plans on such an upgrade anytime in the near future.

BV

#12 ·
I'm with Big Vine, you need a bigger tank IMO at least a 30, preferably 36 or 38 gallon, but with tinfoil barbs, you need 65-75 gallons or better.They can get large.

Did you know though, they make a four foot 33 gallon tank, like 12 inches wide I believe?
You could do FM, jewel, and rosies or what not in that, most likely. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.