Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • new tank, new rock work, do i need more? (pics)

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: CjCichlid, notho2000

new tank, new rock work, do i need more? (pics)

Postby Andrius » Mon May 05, 2008 1:33 pm

hello everyone so i finaly took some pics of my new 55g tank;]
I have 20 demasoni,5 yellow labs and 2 albino bn plecos. They all are still juvies and they have enough hiding places for now, but i was wondering if thats gonna be enough rockwork when they grow up? any ideas or suggestions welcome!! Thanks Image
Andrius

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Andrius » Mon May 05, 2008 1:33 pm

how do i post an image here?;/
Andrius

Postby PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn » Mon May 05, 2008 3:10 pm

I would recommend getting a photobucket account, most reliable image hosting site I know of.

then you post the address in the box next to the photo on that, there are ones with the tags on them already, so just copy and paste that
Live in the UK?
Interested in cichlids?
Then Join the British Cichlid Association
http://www.britishcichlid.com
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

Postby SOLOSHOOTER » Mon May 05, 2008 3:22 pm

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn wrote:I would recommend getting a photobucket account, most reliable image hosting site I know of.

then you post the address in the box next to the photo on that, there are ones with the tags on them already, so just copy and paste that

Also in your profile section make sure that the bbcode and html are clicked to yes.
75 Gal. 11 F1 Aulo. sp. Lwanda - 1 Pleco
55 Gal. Mixed - 2 Hap Morri - 2 Frontosa - 6 Ruby Red Peacocks - 1 Pleco
30 Gal. Breeder - 7 F1 Aulo. stuatgranti - Ngara - 1 Pleco
20 Gal. Grow out tank
10 Gal. Fry tank
www.MittenStateCichlids.com
SOLOSHOOTER

Postby venustus19 » Mon May 05, 2008 4:13 pm

photobucket by far is the easiest way i know of too... on photobucket website, under your pics, they give you options, like:

email & IM
direct link
HTML code
IMG code

all you have to do is click on the "IMG code" text, and it will automatically copy your pic for you, then just come into you post, put your cursor where you want the pic to place at, and either "Ctrl V" or right mouse click and paste. and it'll put in the [img]things%20for%20you...%20%20%20very%20simple...%20%20good%20luck[/img]
90 Gallon Mixed Malawi Tank

30B Tang tank in mind
venustus19

Re: new tank, new rock work, do i need more? (pics)

Postby Andrius » Mon May 05, 2008 4:29 pm

Andrius wrote:hello everyone so i finaly took some pics of my new 55g tank;]
I have 20 demasoni,5 yellow labs and 2 albino bn plecos. They all are still juvies and they have enough hiding places for now, but i was wondering if thats gonna be enough rockwork when they grow up? any ideas or suggestions welcome!! Thanks Image

so here is the pic of my new tank
Andrius

Postby Andrius » Mon May 05, 2008 4:32 pm

venustus19 wrote:photobucket by far is the easiest way i know of too... on photobucket website, under your pics, they give you options, like:

email & IM
direct link
HTML code
IMG code

all you have to do is click on the "IMG code" text, and it will automatically copy your pic for you, then just come into you post, put your cursor where you want the pic to place at, and either "Ctrl V" or right mouse click and paste. and it'll put in the [img]things%20for%20you...%20%20%20very%20simple...%20%20good%20luck[/img]

Thanks for your help guys!! it's easy to post them through the photobucket!! would never figure that out myself:)lol
Andrius

Postby venustus19 » Mon May 05, 2008 4:35 pm

nice looking tank... just an FYI... try to take a pic with just the tank lights on, that way you don't get any glares from anything... i really like your rock work... is that just a paper background or a 3D...
nice job

30B Tang tank in mind
venustus19

Postby quiksilver » Mon May 05, 2008 4:35 pm

rocks look really good they match the background
quiksilver

Postby PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn » Mon May 05, 2008 4:55 pm

rock work looks good,

your going to have fun with vacuums to keep that gravel clean.

and finally, IMO anyway, the sword doesn't look right, maybe if it manages to mature possibly, but I would be more inclined to remove it, and maybe replace with a few water onions (Crinum thaianum) to the back instead.

also, to make it easier to judge the aquascape it helps to be fully able to see the tank, so consider switching off all the lights in the room, and cover over any windows so that its just the tank lights. then use the camera on a non moving surface(tripod ideally) setting it to the highest ISO it'll go too (or produces visible pictures at) then using the timer function so you can press the button and step away thereby reducing camera shake
Live in the UK?
Interested in cichlids?
Then Join the British Cichlid Association
http://www.britishcichlid.com
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

Postby Andrius » Mon May 05, 2008 4:59 pm

venustus19 wrote:nice looking tank... just an FYI... try to take a pic with just the tank lights on, that way you don't get any glares from anything... i really like your rock work... is that just a paper background or a 3D...
nice job

yeah i'm actually photography student :) just on the right side from the tank there is a balcony and blinds don't close all the way, that's where the glare is from :) i'll try to take a pic when sun goes down;]
so you think that will be enough rockwork even when they grow up? or i need more?
background is made of paper but called "3D" paper background;] i wish i could afford the real 3D :lol:
Andrius

Postby venustus19 » Mon May 05, 2008 5:08 pm

i don't know much about dems... i think they get medium sized, right??? it all depends on how big your openings are.. it looks like you have 2 big cave systems going on... i was always told to have 1 cave per fish... i know that is pretty much impossible, but i would try to maybe stack a few more high and get at least a couple more caves in there... maybe 6-7 total... not 100% sure... hopefully others will chime in and help.

30B Tang tank in mind
venustus19

Postby Andrius » Mon May 05, 2008 5:34 pm

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn wrote:rock work looks good,

your going to have fun with vacuums to keep that gravel clean.

and finally, IMO anyway, the sword doesn't look right, maybe if it manages to mature possibly, but I would be more inclined to remove it, and maybe replace with a few water onions (Crinum thaianum) to the back instead.

agree with you on sword, it wasn't growing in my 65g so i thought i'll throw it into 55:) just don't want to throw it out:)
And about cleaning gravel, well it's hard to make a mbuna tank with heavy rockwork and expect an easy cleaning :fish: yeah i'm pretty sure it's gonna be pain in the rear :) well that's the price of this hobby;]
Andrius

Postby Andrius » Mon May 05, 2008 5:49 pm

venustus19 wrote:i don't know much about dems... i think they get medium sized, right??? it all depends on how big your openings are.. it looks like you have 2 big cave systems going on... i was always told to have 1 cave per fish... i know that is pretty much impossible, but i would try to maybe stack a few more high and get at least a couple more caves in there... maybe 6-7 total... not 100% sure... hopefully others will chime in and help.

Yeah i guess i'll have to go to the park look for more rocks;]] dems don't get big, around 3-4".. i think they'll be hapier if i'll throw some more rocks in..

Thanks Ventusus19 :thumb:
Andrius

Postby natalie559 » Tue May 06, 2008 1:02 pm

I think more rocks would make it look overwhelming. I would leave it as is and see how things go as the fish mature.
Natalie

So many fish, so little time. . .
natalie559

Next

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)