Cichlid Fish Forum banner

what do people do with unwanted fish?

5K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  ME_AND_GREENTERROR 
#1 ·
im a newbie but i was wondering what becomes of the fishes that dont fit in for whatever reason..ie getting too big or too aggresive or maybe just bored of them...

reading through posts some guys seem to change fish stocks like they would buy a new shirt ...

so do they get killed ? or given away ...or sold back to the shop?

#6 ·
For the ones that are (to the best of my knowledge) pure I either sell them privately or trade them into my LFS. For anything that turns out to be a hybrid I try to put in in my "Island of Misfit Toys" tank or if its male and attractive into my all male tank (I do have a couple of hybrid females in one tank, I just never save any of their fry-I strip and feed them to the carnivores). I also have a few family members that have tanks so I can try to fit it in there. ABSOLUTE last resort is to put the fish down. (Luckily I have only had to do this for hyper-aggressive, psychotic fish that would need their own tank).

#7 ·
Island of Misfit Toys tank, that's funny and endearing at the same time, MalawiLover! :lol:
And really, a great excuse for another tank :thumb:

#15 ·
great to hear the responses.....personally i find it uncomfortable to to just kill them...and i am sure that my local shop wouldnt give me money for them so its either give them away for free which is ok as long as its a good home or hang onto them ....in fact i would prefer them to die in mortal combat ....more honour in that.

so i will try and choose my fish wisely....one thing i will do is say to the shop owner that if they dont take with the rest of the fish then i can return....i am sure they would give me say a month trial period?? bit like a demo drive.

#16 ·
wow you guys trade alot of fish :lol: i like to have fry grow them out but then i get bored of them..... or they get too big... I dont know what kind of fish i want to tell you the truth... I want everyfish in the world.. :D i havent killed any of them yet.. or sold them but i thinking of trading them to i dont know who wants them..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.