Cichlid Fish Forum banner

what kind of fish do i have?

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  saturnine 
#1 ·
#6 ·
you r absolutely rite they are some mean fish! but i love them though & they always come out of there hiding spot when i come in the room. can anyone give me any info about these type of fish. what should i b feeding them? my ph level is 7.2 & the water temp. is about 80 degrees f.

the spotted fish at the top has a fleshy, hang over snout i'm pretty sure its a Labeotropheus fuelleborni (Katale OB).
& the 2nd pic he used to be yellow, white, & black stripped if i'm not mistaken. & then he turned almost all black & his fins are all outlined in yellow. i haven't seen any other fish pics that can tell me what he is but he does favor the Melanochromis Auratus i already hav with the exception he has no more white and no yellow except on the outline.
i have had my fish for 2 yrs. now & i got them from a friend. i
have been doing very well in keeping up on the cleaning of tank & water changes, they hav gotten so big. i just bought a 55 gal. tank the 20 gal. high i had them in just wasn't cutting it. thanks to this forum i found out that it wasn't a tank to keep very aggressive, territorial, fish in. not to mention the thing about the oxygen. so thank you guys for all the knowledge on our beloved african cichlids. any info you can share will b greatly appreciated

#8 ·
hello thanx for the feedback #6 i thought was a Metriaclima estherae (Blue). he(i havent vented, but pretty sure) is a flouresent blue with lines(barrings). he has about 6 very pronounced egg spots on his (anal) fin. I thought #1 & #6 where from the same (family) the only difference that i can see is #1 has no lines(barrings) & obvisiously a different color. is it easy to tell there gender.

#9 ·
#6 is a Zebra not a Peacock... There are no Peacocks that I am aware of adorned with that color and faint black stripes.

So, on the two that have yet to be identified:

The marbled looking one is perhaps Labeotropheus Fuelleborni 'Katale OB' or 'Likoma' (the lighting in the picture isn't spectacular so I can't really see the full range of color on the fish) but is more likely to be Labeotropheus Fuelleborni 'OB'.

The second fish is a male M. Auratus while the other two you have are females.

#10 ·
well thanks this is the 1st time taking pics of my fish. i am going 2 get better ones tonight. i heard its better to take their pics in the night. the blotched/spotted one's color is a puplish,brown,yellowish. the outline of the fins are yellow. and #6 doesnt have faint black (barrings) their just another shade of blue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.