Aquarium Setup • Need help with water changes! Emergency!!

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

Need help with water changes! Emergency!!

Postby The Wizard of Waz » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:03 am

I've been doing appr. 50% water chages for the last 6 months. My Calvuses always seem a little bummed out but they recover in a few hours. Last week I did my standard water chage and lost all of my CYPs (in a matter of minutes). I also lost a couple of multis which usually don't react at all.

I know there will be some water chemistry questions but I want to know if a RO filter will cure this problem. Apparently there may be spikes from my local water company (I live in a small communtiy) but instead of going into testing their water can I filter out all the "bad stuff" without having to deal with testing the incoming water.

To a point, money is no object. I just want to be able to safely change out the water.

By good fortune, the Cyps (Kyrenge Island) that died have left behind three fry and I hope to get a pair out of them.
55 gallon bowfront
Cypichromis Kerenge Island
J. trans. Bemba
Alto. calvus Inkfin
Multis
The Wizard of Waz

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby a_c_arnold » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:47 am

first off, cut your rate to 20% rather than 50%. Are you adding dechlorinator to the water that removes chlorine and chloramines. If your water is killing your fish that quickly and it's not a chlorine problem, then it may be a health concern to you or your family. Are their any areas where ammonia can build up in your tank that you stir up during these water changes? An RO unit will help and certain medias can remove ammonia that is in the water, but it would be nice to know what the contaminant is.
a_c_arnold

Postby alicem » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:51 am

I agree with a_c_arnold about cutting the amount of change, unless your nitrates are extremely high. If they are, then that needs to be addressed.

I know it's boring, but, do a water test at the tap each time before you use it for change water.
Testing before each change would let you know what is going on and what to do about it.

What are these "spikes" you refer to?
PH fluctuations? High ammonia or nitrates in the water?

The problem could be a ph bounce, a large difference in the ph in the change water from what is already in the aquarium.

You may want to use straight cold water, avoiding the household water heater. You'll of course need to warm the water before using it in your tank.

I have to condition my tap water and aerate it for several hours before using it for change water. (I have a spare aquarium to use for this.)

With more info, maybe we can help figure your fish loss out and keep the stress low for your Calvus. :)
Alicem
my tanks are low tech planted:
75G:Pelvicachromis Pulcher,Rainbowfish,ABN
46G bowfront:Marble Angel,Sunset Platy,ABN
90G:Steatocranus Casuarius,OB Peacock,Congo Tetra,Red Swordtails,ABN
alicem

Postby F8LBITEva » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:52 am

another thing to consider is the temp of the new water. My friend lost his calvus' due to a drastic temp change during a water change.
F8LBITEva

Return to Aquarium Setup